Chickens and Fire Ants

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 4kidslotsapets, Mar 15, 2011.

1. 4kidslotsapets

4kidslotsapets Chirping

Sep 21, 2010
    Cumming, GA
    Hi,
    Our yard, like most in GA, is covered in fire ants! Does anyone know of any control measures that won't affect my hens? I am afraid to put down poison, even where the hens don't go, just in case they eat the poisoned ants! Will that hurt them? And would it (the fire ants poison or the poison I put down) come through to their eggs? (I am allergic to fire ants!)

Thanks!

Kim

2. lorrir

lorrir Songster

Jun 19, 2009
    Upstate SC
    Let the chickesn eat the fire ants. We live in SC and had hundreds of fire ant piles before we got chickens. Now, not a one. The chickens will destroy an ant pile and the ants will never come back. The fire ants don't seem to bother the chickens like they do us.

Best ant control EVER.

3. tinychicky

tinychicky Songster

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    yes, pesticides would hurt them! if you can find a natural ant deterrent, that might be okay, but definetly double check the label first and make sure it's "pet safe" or something similar.

4. Kaneke

Kaneke Songster

don't necessarily know what I'm talking about, but what about sprinkling food grade DE on the fire ant hills ?

5. terrilhb

terrilhb Songster

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    [​IMG] from Georgia too. Thanks for asking that question I was going to ask that same question. I was afraid the ants would hurt the chickens.

6. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Songster

Jul 10, 2010
    I would try the chickens first - it is like the cat and mouse thing, sometimes works, sometimes you have cats like mine that watched a mouse run across our kiten and did not even care enough to stand up. If that does not work, be careful about what you use to kill the ants or you will kill the chickens or add poisen into your body that the chickens ate.

7. AKsmama

AKsmama Songster

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    I live in upstate SC as well, and in my experience, once the chickens find out the fire ants hurt, they don't try to eat them anymore. But their scratching may deter the ants from rebuilding in the same place. Now, if they accidentally uncover a mound of ant larvae, then they snack away, but I wouldn't count too much on the chickens being the best ant control.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: