Chickens and flower beds

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jarasz, Feb 5, 2008.

1. jarasz

jarasz Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2008
    Hello everyone,

I am just wondering if it is possible to have flower beds and free range chickens. Or maybe there are plants that you guys have found out about that chickens don't like to eat?

I am in the top panhandle of Florida. Or if you guys know of some way to keep chickens out of flower beds, like a type of mulch they don't like. Anything!! I am getting tired of shooing them out of the flower beds

Thanks so much

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I've never found anything to keep them out....That's why mine don't get to free range that much anymore.

3. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    Ckickens and flower beds don't mix. I have not had any luck keeping them out. What works well is a good fence.

4. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree......mine are all over my beds.........mulch is impossible to keep in......I started making rock gardens.with various size rock to keep them from up rooting plants.....I suggest at the very least you keep them penned up while plants first sprout ! Myducks are the hardest of all my critters.....Is it possible to use a low fence on one and try to see if they will jump over? I tried on mine,didnt work....they ate all my strawberries too....... I still have flower beds.and chickens but they sure don't get along to well....sorry to say

5. BJ

BJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2007
    Maybe you could try hosta in the shade...but they still eat pieces of the leaves. Its a tough one. I'm trying to figure something out too. The problem is that they send mulch flying everywhere!!!

6. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Nope...nigh on impossible...

I used to have a nice raised bed in my back yard until Slifer and Obelisk flopped down in the middle of it and used it as a wallow.

7. pepperluvsmee

pepperluvsmee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Seven Valleys, Pa
    I have HUGE green thumb and would never let the birds keep me from planting my gardens. I use CHICKEN WIRE! I cut it short so it is easy to work inthe gardens and harder to see from a distance, so it does not distract from the flowers. My irds are too busy getting into other things to worry much about my gardens. We even have a vegie garden right next to the coop!

8. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    My chickens ate my hostas......nothing left!! I have cone flower that they don't eat. I'm in MI, so don't know what plants would work for you. [​IMG]

9. nmallardi

nmallardi New Egg

Jan 29, 2008
    this is my dilemma as well - i want to raise 3 chickens as pets/ egglayers and have limited space in the yard for planting . I'd hoped to build a small coop w/ run beneath but would also like to let them run around freely. perhaps i should grow the garden on top of the coop!

10. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    My chickens free range in my pastures. The fence is 2" X 4" square fence 4 ft high. For the most part they don't fly over, but once you get one that realizes they can fly over into the garden and get fresh lettuce and tomatos, they run right back and tell the others. That is when you need to keep them under watchful eye.

As for the flower beds, mulch holds bugs, worms, etc., a great buffett for the chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by