chickens and gardens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by captgeobob, May 14, 2009.

1. captgeobob

captgeobob New Egg

Dec 20, 2008
    we are planning on getting some chickens and we put out a large garden. Can the chickens roam in the garden or will they destroy it? Please help. Thanks

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Chickens and gardens don't mix. The chickens will eat anything sprouting and most things growing. It would be nice if they would restrict themselves to the bugs, but they don't. A chicken fence around the garden may be in order.

Chickens are great in a garden after your crops are gone. They will strip out the weeds and deposit fertilizer, helping get it ready for the next crop. Pure chicken droppings are a great nitrogen addition to your compost heap.

3. captgeobob

captgeobob New Egg

Dec 20, 2008
    thank you very much, looks like we will be putting up a fence.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    At least,since it is to keep chickens out, not predators, it can be a cheaper fence.

5. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    You can let them in before and after you till, but then they need to be shut out until after harvest. After harvest, they are amazing gleaners. And they will absolutely love scratching in all that lovely dirt.

But man, they will destroy a garden right quick. Mine will fly over a 4' fence to get into the garden. And what they don't eat, they will scratch out and destroy the roots. Luckily I only have one that's really tenacious about flying over the pasture fence and I can wing clip her.

On the plus side, you know those tomato horn worms and other large pests that you pick off? The chickens will absolutely LOVE them, so they won't be wasted...

Erika

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by