1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chickens and geese? Can they be together?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by lexiredhead, Dec 5, 2014.

1. lexiredhead

lexiredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2014
    Hi everyone! so i was thinking of selling my ducks and replacing them with a female toulouse goose. Can geese and chickens (which are hens) be together in one enclosure? Will they fight? should I just keep the ducks? If so what kind of breed of goose is the best choice? thank you so much!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I would get 2 geese if you really want geese, they just do so much better if they one of their own kind to live with and hang out with. I would not have my chickens and geese in the same enclosure they can be pretty territorial and bullies. My geese tolerate the rest of the flock which consists of ducks and chickens but they are dif the monarchs of the barn yard. and the rest of the flock has to give them a wide Birth. I have Toulouse, Embden and Buff love them all.

3. lexiredhead

Sep 28, 2014
    oh ok Thank you! I love geese but I can only get one- so i am told. I wa going to get them for an alrming system but guess not - do you know any other animals that have alarm calls?

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Donkeys? lol other than dogs not sure but some use other animals, they are great for alarming but that's about it with the geese. why only 1?
    Might want to visit the back yard herds section of BYC and talk to people there they can probably advise you.

5. lexiredhead

Sep 28, 2014
    I don't have enough room for two..... Thnk you so much for your help! i will go and check backyard herds!

6. Amina

Amina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    I hear guinea fowl are good at sounding the alarm.

1 person likes this.
  7. lexiredhead

Sep 28, 2014
    Really - are they friendly

8. jbugw

jbugw Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2014
    Michigan
    Guniea's are so so as alarm. Ours don't really stick close to the chickens, they prefer our turkeys. And they make noise whenever even when there is no threat. They also don't wake and make noise during the night. You can walk up on them, move them, whatever when they are sleeping-something you would never be able to do while they are awake. My husband shot raccoon 2 feet away from where the gunieas were sleeping and they never even made a noise. We knew the raccoon was there because of our dog. Geese will wake up and sound the alarm but I agree you should get 2 and they are territorial.

9. lexiredhead

Sep 28, 2014
    Oh ok... I don't know what to do. Are ducks good protectors?

10. lexiredhead

Sep 28, 2014
    Thank you for the help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by