Chickens and goats good or bad idea?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by hikerfrog99, Jan 27, 2014.

1. hikerfrog99

hikerfrog99 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2014
    South Carolina
    I am new to hobby farming and currently have chickens. I have plenty of property and would like to have 2 goats. I would like to know if I do this how would I go about it as far as my chickens are concerned. Can they be together and have separate sleep areas? Please share your knowledge and experience. I have wanted to have a hobby farm all my life and need help along the way. Thank you!

2. [​IMG]
    It is fine! I have 4 goats and the chickens free-range with them in the day. They get along very well. Sometimes when one of my goats is taking a nap one of the chickens will walk on 'em, and the goats don't mind! So yes you can have goats with chickens. Just a warning if the chicken food is where the goats can get to it they will eat it.

3. hikerfrog99

Jan 27, 2014
    South Carolina
    Thank you so much! I will be sure to keep the feed away from the goats. I was asking because I was reading about the chickens eating the goat feces and how the chemicals from the working meds and such can effect the chickens and/or their eggs. I want to be sure I keep all my animals safe and healthy.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hi there, [​IMG] and welcome to BYC!

I used to keep goats long before I kept chickens. But there are many people here that keep goats and chickens together with no problems.

Good luck in all your livestock adventures and enjoy BYC!

1 person likes this.
  5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

1 person likes this.
  6. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! I don't know the answer but welcome :)

1 person likes this.
  7. hikerfrog99

Jan 27, 2014
    South Carolina
    I'm so happy to find this site!!

8. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you here with us [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chickens tend to mix well so yes do it [​IMG]

9. yawningreyhound

yawningreyhound Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi there! My neighbor took in two pygmies a couple of months ago but she wasn't really set up for a small farmlike operation and tho' the goats were lovely creatures about 2 years old, they became a bit of a nuisance in a couple ways. The chicken scraps had to be fed with the coop run shut or actually inside the chicken coop or the goats would not only eat the scraps but headbutt the chickens if they tried to share. The minute we opened the coop storage area, the goats were forcing their way in to stick their heads in the food storage the minute we opened it...it was a wrestling match so we started confining the goats in their little house/run area before opening the coop. There wasn't a nice fenced pasture with shelter which I think would've been perfect for the goats; they were free-ranged right along with the chickens, and altho' they got along, the goats pooped everywhere they went and they particularly liked the house decks.

Then they started eating the paint off the house and chewing the hot tub cover.

I think if goats are adequately confined away from such things as the house, they're perfectly friendly little pets.

These two had free access to hay, were fed goat chow twice a day, had treats of sweet oats/corn morning and evening, and were free-ranged on a huge piece of mountain property, and still acted like they were starving all the time and wanted to chew on anything their eyes saw.

They were rehomed last week to a guy down on the flats who is a farrier and has a fenced pasture with horses and good shelter. These goats HATED the constant wind we seem to have more than not, and they loved their little house with the pond liner doors they pushed through to a thick straw filled 4x4' area. We were at -15F for a long stretch there and they seemed to tolerate the cold if they could use their shelter at will.

So I think goats are fairly easy keepers if you can manage the poop and the inquisitiveness with active jaws!

1 person likes this.
  10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by