Chickens and grit

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by All about the EGG, May 19, 2008.

1. Do chickens know they need grit? Will they actively search for it? I read an article about the author watching his chicken sample grit (stones), until it found some that was the right size. This correct?

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Yes, they know they need grit and will find the right size when in an outside run or free ranging. If the chickens don't have access to dirt/ground then you need to supply them with grit. You can buy it from feed stores or the big stores like Big R or Tractor Supply.

They're pretty amazing huh?[​IMG]

3. Thanks. I read that and could not believe it.

4. 5peeps

5peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Winterset Iowa
    I have 5 chicks at what point do you start giving them grit ?

I read when they start to lay eggs is this correct ?

Thanks

5. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:They need grit to digest their food - so they always need grit - the "starter feed" that they start with has enough grit in it for the starter, so if any additional treats are given grit should be provided to aid in the digestion of the treat. The grit helps grind the food so that they do NOT get an impacted crop.

You need to provide free access to oyster shell when they start laying as they will need the extra calcium to make the eggs with.

6. LOL! I put a bowl of sand in the brooder, and they started chowing on it. It looked like they were eating it! I understand some sprinkle it in food, and keep a bowl around.

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  7. 5peeps

5peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Winterset Iowa
    Quote:They need grit to digest their food - so they always need grit - the "starter feed" that they start with has enough grit in it for the starter, so if any additional treats are given grit should be provided to aid in the digestion of the treat. The grit helps grind the food so that they do NOT get an impacted crop.

You need to provide free access to oyster shell when they start laying as they will need the extra calcium to make the eggs with.

When you say oyster shell what do you mean ( I know what they are ) but do you give them the whole shell or do you break them up and how big if so ? Also is there something else you can use ?

Thanks

8. kodiakchicken

kodiakchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Kodiak, Alaska
    You can buy crushed oyster shell at the feed store. Use that since it's probably been processed properly for the chickens. I wouldn't use oyster shell from store bought oysters.

9. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Dont use oyster shells as grit. Oyster shells should only be given to hens that are laying eggs. Use regular chick grit.

10. tigger65

tigger65 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2008
    Danville
    just for the info,,, the crushed oyster shell that is sold in feed store is the exact same thing as the whole unshucked shells bought at the fish mkt just washed then crushed:D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by