chickens and guinea pigs

sydney13

Songster
Mar 11, 2010
Massachusetts
hi
i have a flock of chickens and i also have two little guinea pigs and i was wondering if they could share the same run? In the summer my guinea pigs go out side every day in their own pen and then each night. I wanted to put the pigs in the chicken's run because it has more space but would the chickens give them diseases and do you think they would peck the guinea pigs because they eat mice (my guines pigs are about 3 pounds)?
thanx

I Found With Mine If They Are Raised Up Together They All Get Along. When I Put My Pig In With Mature Hens That Didn't Know What She Was They Picked On Them. You Have To Watch And See . I Don't Know About Diseases.

Guinea pigs are very sensitive to the weather and their surroundings. I doubt they will do well with a flock of chickens. Their dietary needs are also different. Like bunnies, they can also pick coccidia from the birds. they are also prone to respiratory disease if they don't get the right diet, or housing. I would think the chickens would pick on them too since they are small. Guinea pigs make much better indoor house pets then they do outdoor ones.

Having seen chickens kill both rats and mice I wouldn't put guinea pigs in with chickens. The chickens can give the guinea pigs diseases and parasites that the guinea pigs would have no defense for. I'd also worry about the chickens pecking out the eyes of the guinea pigs since they tend to attack the eyes of smaller animals.

Quote:
coccidia(a parasite) and upper respiratory disease. (snuffles, p mulicioda(sp?) etc)

Back
Top Bottom