1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens and Heat Lamp Warning!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chick2good4u, Mar 1, 2009.

1. chick2good4u

chick2good4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Last night went to collect eggs (got home late) and they were already on the roost half asleep. We had put two heat lamps in their house - one pointing upwards and one pointing downwards. As I was getting eggs I smelled a burning smell. Looked up and Souffle had backed her rump up to a heat lamp and her tail feathers were smoldering! [​IMG] I quickly got her down, checked her out and reset the heat lamp somewhere else. Now I know why you put the little metal cage on the lamps! I know chickens aren't at the top of the food chain but...

2. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    OMG! Glad you found that before disaster struck!

3. Orpington Poultry

Orpington Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    California
    Toasty buns. [​IMG] Thank goodness you discovered this.
    I have to admit I can relate to the hen, I practically sit on one of our wood stoves. [​IMG]

K.

4. crzychicken

crzychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    also make sure they are tied up also not with just the clamp. I tie mine with wire, just in case they get crazy flying around and knock it down better to be safe than have a fire.

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Pointing upwards is also dangerous because bedding, feathers, etc could get kicked onto it and ignite. Really dangerous, don't do it! Several BYCers have also had chickens with what they're pretty sure were burned foot pads from trying to land on an inopportunely-located heatlamp.

Glad everything's ok,

Pat

6. Rufflemyfeathers

Rufflemyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    Suppose to cook without the feathers [​IMG] ..sure glad you got to in time..hope ok..

About tieing the heat lamp also I do that it is clamped but also tied with wire just in case comes unclamp won't fall to ground and cause fire..so far so good..

7. chick2good4u

chick2good4u Chillin' With My Peeps

The cord on the lamp is run through the chain that it's hanging from so there is no worry of it falling. Also it's not pointing directly up, more of a 45 degree angle. Thanks everyone for the tips.

8. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    Poor thing - she just wanted a warm heinie. Being in cold MN, I can understand. Glad you caught this before she hurt herself!

9. Clay In Iowa

Clay In Iowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Near Wilton Iowa
    *Sniff.... *Sniff.... Ya know Souffle, it does smell like roast chicken in here. [​IMG]

10. 98 gt

98 gt a man of many... chickens

Jan 14, 2009
    Marshville NC
    Gotto love when they are slow roasted...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by