Chickens and Hurricanes

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by muskovy, Oct 5, 2016.

1. muskovy

muskovy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2016
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    As we're preparing for hurricane Matthew's visit here in Florida in the next days, what are some things to consider to keep the chickens safe?

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    There been several posts the last several days regarding this. Is where you are expecting super high winds and feet of rain? Or just moderately high wind and inches of rain? I think as long as they're coop doesn't go tumbling away in the wind or wash away in the high water, there isn't much you have to do. I know some folks were evacuating their and set up temporary quarters in their garages with lots of feed and water and were just going to see what happened. Don't have much great advice - sorry. We just have to dodge tornadoes here, not hurricanes, thankfully! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. muskovy

muskovy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2016
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Thanks! I did a keyword search to see if anyone posted on this already but somehow missed them. The hurricanes here are always unpredictable, if it's a strong one it will tear the roof off my house and send the coop flying or it might turn into a mere storm and pass by uneventfully. In any case, probably best to be safe rather than sorry and to bring the chickens inside (oh boy, the dogs will have a blast!)

4. MollySunshine

MollySunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2016
    Rhode Island
    I have no advice to give but positive thoughts to all that are in the track of this storm. Let's hope this storm finds itself further out to sea than is expected. Be safe, everyone!

1 person likes this.
  5. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

As there are probably no two coops alike, you will really have to evaluate your unique situation.

Personally, the safest place for me would actually be in my coop, as my modifications make it much stronger than my house...

A few years back, Hurricane Sandy passed over here in NJ.

Trees snapped everywhere, one 2 footer, direct hit on the coop. It bounced / rolled off and splintered my run.

I lost 3 shingles... and had to rebuild / reinforce my run...

Had that same tree hit the house, there would have been significantly more damage.

Stay safe and all the best.

1 person likes this.
  6. gremlin

gremlin Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2016
    Minnesota
    If I were in this situation I would bring my flock into the garage. My coop is durable, but 100mph wind durable doubtfull. When our chicks got too active for the house brooder we had I built a really quick and easy pen in one of my garage stalls as they weren't ready for outside. Did 4 quick 2x4 walls, stapled hardware wire horizontal, 2 rows, and a quick easy door for access. Took about 2 hours to do.
    I can draw up the plan I ended up with if it helps.
    I wish you well.

1 person likes this.
  7. HeyHouse

HeyHouse Just Hatched

Oct 3, 2016
    We don't get hurricanes here, but we do get heavy wind in August and torrential tropical rain in the summer.

The most important issue with rain is to make sure the coop is not located in a flood zone. Move the coop to higher ground or perhaps dig trenches to divert the flow of known water paths. Since hurricanes can last a long time, it would be a good idea to make sure the chickens have a place to go to stay dry.

Perhaps the most difficult problem is wind, because it can really wreck your coop if it's not built well. My coop is a large welded frame of heavy steel L-shape beams. A few months ago a 50ft tree landed on it and it bent it a little bit, but it's still 100% functional. So build your coop well!

Some coops have open air walls and solid roofs. To me, that sounds like a good recipe for a glider-coop. If you have a coop like that, perhaps you should board up the walls with plywood.

Lastly, position the coop in a place that naturally reduces the wind. Perhaps inside a garage, against a house, near a hedge, etc. If you have a forest near your house, put it in the forest. But be careful with this strategy - weakened trees may fall down so you'll have to really observe how safe the area is by looking for warning signs of weakened trees that are likely to come down. You need to be observant of your property year-round to learn where the low-wind areas are.

As some people have pointed out - keep your finger's crossed!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  8. hijabifarmer

hijabifarmer New Egg

Sep 6, 2016
    We are preparing for hurricane Mathew 8 miles from shore and our 14 week old chicks r camping in the bathroom but we live in a mobile so we r evacuating West and have to leave the girls here we filled the sink with water and filled the floor with piles of grit and feed for them and we have roommates hunkering down in the garage with 4 dogs who can't leave there dogs everyone be safe we r in tow with 3 adults a child dog and 2 cats it doesn't look promising folks be safe keep your phones charged and good luck to all my chicken lovers brothers and sisters

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by