Chickens and InfraRed lights

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sab, Aug 22, 2011.

1. sab

sab Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    Ripley, WV
    My Coop
    I don't even know if this is the right forum to ask this but ---

We put a video camera in the coop. Has InfraRed night vision. That's little red lights on the camera. I noticed the birds really don't seem to sleep. Just are restless all the time. They stand up - they look around. They sit down. They stand up. I expected to see them resting on those 2x4s - not so much activity. I always understood they are very very docile - zombie like - when it's dark. And yet I see all this activity.

Could the red lights on this camera be a cause of concern for them??? Any one know??

2. chickenbythesea

chickenbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Nova Scotia
    it could be and I only say that because they should be pretty much comatose/ docile in the dark... but then again, the heat lamp lights are red and that never bothered our chickens... maybe someone more knowledgeable will come and have more to say

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    It could be bothering them slightly if they aren't used to it yet, but then again they could just be acting normal. Sometimes I sit out in the coop after the sun goes down and Some sit, some stand, one moves around some, then a sitting one stands, etc. It's not because I'm "bothering" them, that's just the way they pass the night. It's no wonder they doze during midday!

4. sab

Jul 28, 2010
    Ripley, WV
    My Coop
    When I get this cam on the internet, you can all watch how these birds sleep at night. They may be docile, but they are not sound asleep.

5. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Hi, Just a thought. Maybe they are uneasy because they think they are being watched. I don't mean by the camers lens, but maybe the red lights. Most chicken equipment suppliers sell some type of predator deterant like NightGuard which uses a red LED light to simulate something watching them. Another brand I saw uses two lights. Maybe the Chickens have that same inbred fear of being watched in the dark. Just a thought. Try turning off the camera for a while and sneak out and see if they settle down. I know when I go out to our totally pitch black coop at 3 am and surprise them, they are all sleeping. Just a thought. good luck.
    Erik

6. sab

Jul 28, 2010
    Ripley, WV
    My Coop
    They seem to be more settled tonight. Might be they just had to get used to it. That's Duck-Duck below in the nest box
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by