Chickens and Kids

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by HallChicks, Jun 4, 2007.

1. HallChicks

HallChicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2007
    I have just gotten 5 chickens for my kids to take care of [​IMG]. I am a bit concerned about diseases (like salmonella) that they might get from the chickens- I have been a bit carzy about them always washing their hands after being near them...

Is there anything I need to worry about? Am I paranoid? Should I be feeding the chickens anything to prevent pathogens?

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated [​IMG]

Thanks!![​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Just keep their cage clean and wash hands. Keep the chicks on proper chick feed for their own good. Other than that, nothing to worry about... Shoot, I often handle them while eating and they steal food off my plate. It's kind of disgusting when i think about it but they walk on my desk and I often eat off my desk... haven't gotten sick yet.

3. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Sterling, Ohio
    the only other thing that i might add to the comments from silkie is maybe keep some hand sanitizer by the coop and you might want the kids to get in the habit of using before and after handling the chicks. other than that theres not much to worry about really.

4. JackieK318

JackieK318 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Missouri
    I have one pair of old 'barn' shoes. I don't wear these anywhere but in the animal areas to protect them and everyone else. For example, pesticides aren't brought to them from other areas and their germs, potty, etc. aren't brought into the house.

5. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    As others here have said I have barn shoes too. Or coop shoes. Also washing hands before and after is just good practice. Keep a clean coop. Your kids will be fine and so will your chickens. It is a great education for your kids. Try not to worry. [​IMG] You are probably more likley to get samonella from store bought chicken.

6. HallChicks

HallChicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2007
    Thank you for all your comments!!! I feel so much better. [​IMG] I really like the hand sanitizer idea! I think I will do that. I have a one-year-old that is always trying to get into the coop (so far she has always gone in with me!!) and I think if I have some hand sanitizer readily available I will be able to relax a little [​IMG]

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by