1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens and Kittens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Daycare Mom, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    Ok, after I promised DH no more critters, he brings me a tiny kitten!!! [​IMG] He know I love kittens (who doesn't). Anyway, he found it meowing its head off out in the apple orchard behind the house. He said we can keep it as a barn cat (we already have 2 cats in the house).

My question is will it grow up and attack my chickens? They free range and I don't want this to become a problem. I figured the chickens will put the kitten in his place and they will all be fine together. Any input would be great, thanks!

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    some may disagree but I have no problems with my cats and chickens...My cat even sits on top of the picnic table and watches them do thier thing while they are free ranging...I think the key is to get the kitty used to the chickens VERY early

when my chicks were day olds I put them in a large fish tank for a day or so them i moved them to the coop thats in my basement and everytime i went to tend to my gals the cat was right in toe..so to my cat the chickens are just another family member

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2008
  3. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    We raised kittens with adult chickens. The kittens soon learned to leave the chickens alone because the chickens were much bigger. A swift peck between the eyes was all the kittens needed to learn that chickens were not fun to play with.

When the kittens reached adulthood, the chickens and cats tolerated each other and would even dustbathe together (well, the cats would just lay there in the dirt, while the chickens did their usual ruffling and pecking).

However, I would never trust cats who were okay with the adult chickens to be safe around baby chicks. I think the size of the adult chickens helped to deter the cats from attacking.

4. schmije

schmije Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    Our cats are actually afraid of our chickens! The chickens have pecked them enough times that the cats keep a distance. Also, our cats are on the small side, so the chickens are bigger than they are.

However when the chicks were little, we kept the cats away from them. I once caught a cat reaching thru the cage trying to catch a chick. We allowed supervised visits once the chicks were as big as the cats, but it was a while before I trusted the cats not to try anything. A grown chicken will probably teach a kitten the rules very quickly.

5. Daycare Mom

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    Good, that is what I was thinking, since the kitten is so small and the chickens so big they will show him who rules the roost. I have baby chicks but they are not freeranging yet. Thanks for the advice. [​IMG]

6. brandywine

brandywine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    Western PA
    I'm raising two barn kittens alongside my pullets.

Fortunately, chicks grow faster than kittens.

The chicks are now 8 weeks old, and the kittens are 4 months old.

When I first let the chicks out to free range, the kittens did some playful feints and charges, which I corrected by tossing things at the kitten when in mid-charge. There was no serious intent there -- the chicks are too big now. (These kittens are good mousers.)

The kittens will often now lie right in the middle of the flock of foraging birds.

Full-grown standard sized chickens and a young kitten should present no problem.

7. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Clearly mine have no trouble with each other. [​IMG]
    The kittens are about almost 4 months old. The chickens are 17 weeks. They've been cohabitating for almost three weeks now. The kitties wanted to play the first day or so. All it took was a good sharp poke on the head to convince them to leave the girls alone!

Congrats on your new kitty. We want pictures!!!
    [​IMG]

8. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    On my parents and grandparents farms the cats co-existed fine with the chickens. The cats went their way and the chickens went another. The only time I would maybe worry is when the chickens are quite small,'cause instinctively they will look like potential prey to a cat.

9. Daycare Mom

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    This is the new kitty, skeeter, with the girls. They really don't seem to care to much about each other. Hopefully they will keep on getting along! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Bi0sC0mp

Bi0sC0mp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Raiford,FLA
    well i got 4 3 kittens 1 adult cat they hang out with my chickens they realy dont pay them no mind kinda of cool and they are all outside cats.. so yes you can raise a cat to live happliy with chickens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by