chickens and landscaping

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kmetzker, Aug 10, 2011.

1. kmetzker

kmetzker Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2011
    my girls have a few strange favorites in my yard and seem to ignore any plants that are actually edible for humans. i'm wondering if there is anything that can be sprayed on plants (like a pepper spray or that bitter apple stuff to keep dogs way) that is natural and won't hurt them or the environment.

any one heard of anything like that?

thanks!!

2. macdoogle2

macdoogle2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    San Diego
    I dont know myself but would be interested to hear from someone that does. I planted society garlic in the run thinking they wouldn't like it but it was gone by the next day.

3. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Chickens are known to like the hot pepper taste (some people actually put cayenne in their homemade chicken mixes!) and mine definitely did not mind getting the lettuce that had bolted and was unbearably bitter to me. I hope somebody has an alternate idea for you because I can't think of anything short of either fencing them out or sticking with plants that a chicken won't eat unless it's starving.

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Mine do not seem to eat milkweed. They also seem to avoid anything with red on it where I live now but they used to eat red things.

5. Brianm97

Brianm97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:I am almost positive Milkweed is poisonous. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=208032. I would be Careful With that around your Chickens and any other animals. That is why Monarch butterflies lay their eggs on the milkweed plant. other animals will usually stay away and the catapillers eat the milkweed and store the poison so no one eats them when they turn into a butterfly

6. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Several milkweed species are toxic and multiple milkweed-eating insects species adopt consumed toxins to prevent their being consumed. Most of those insects are bright red.

Several species of milkweed are dispersed throughout pasture and removing it is not practical. Other toxic plants or at least fowl tasting to chickens seem to consume only very small amounts and they also consume other plants known to be toxic to humans. Toxic to humans may not mean toxic to chickens.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  7. kmetzker

Jul 31, 2011
    i do actually have a milkweed plant and they leave it alone.

8. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:For giggles, put some red pepper on plants you do not want consumed. The taste will not stop consumption but color might. My birds tempered by fowl tasting red insects seem to avoid anything with red on it, possibly thanks to the milkweeds I have.

9. kmetzker

Jul 31, 2011
    i'll try it! they ate a bunch of pink flowers but i'll try red and see if it works!

10. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:Experiment to try if they eat still. Catch a couple of the bright red beetles or bugs that hang out on the milkweed, sprinkle the red pepper on them and offer the whole mix to your birds. You may be able to condition your birds to associate the red of the pepper with the horrible taste of the red insect.

Beetle image
    http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...e&hl=en&biw=961&bih=599&gbv=2&tbm=isch&itbs=1

Bug image
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_yROYiW3ykhQ/Svd9UjlO52I/AAAAAAAACZU/F71lM1TLzKE/s800/Red-MilkweedBug7.jpg

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by