chickens and mice?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lethldragon, Jun 4, 2011.

1. lethldragon

lethldragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Quick question, is it OK for chicks to eat a baby mouse? My 6 week old chicks found a baby mouse and dang near went crazy trying to eat the thing, it was kinda funny!

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Yes. Consider them feathered velociraptors. They will eat anything that does not eat them first. They will beat the mouse into something they can swallow. That's what all that pecking is about.

3. lethldragon

lethldragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Cool, the chicks are crazy and the barred rocks seem to be the most aggressive when it comes to live food, it's very entertaining

4. zengrrl

zengrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Oakland County, MI
    Its a wonder any of us have a mouse problem!

5. kaybats

kaybats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Quote:[​IMG]

Very good to know, however. Have plenty of field mice and I hadn't even thought about that since my chicks have just recently moved into their brand new semi-outdoor accommodations. Very good question...thank you for asking it!

6. Backyard Barb

Backyard Barb Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    Brisbane
    Sometimes I go around the yard picking up logs and tossing salamanders & newts at the girls. Or if I see a snail on the sidewalk I bring it home. Nummy! I think I must be the only gardener importing snails.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by