1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Chickens and mint??

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by daeichler, Jul 8, 2008.

1. daeichler

daeichler In the Brooder

Jun 28, 2008
    I am planning on raising (for the first time) broilers in a chicken tractor which will be stationary (the Deep Mulch plan as per Chicken Tractor by Andy Lee). In my garden I have a patch which has been overtaken with chocolate mint. Does anyone have any experience with putting chickens into a mint field and whether the mint flavor transfers into the meat? Thanks!
    David

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Songster

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    I would tend to think that after 8 wks, there wouldn't be any mint left to worry about.

3. daeichler

daeichler In the Brooder

Jun 28, 2008
    Yes (which would be good!) but I am wondering if the consumption of copious amount of chocolate mint during the 8 weeks (or part thereof) is likely to make the meat taste, well, chocolate minty.

4. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Songster

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    I doubt it, but I had had honey from a ?bee farmer?? who's bees frequented a mint patch. That honey was heaven!! i really don't think it is an issue with chickens, though [​IMG]

5. menageriemama

menageriemama Songster

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    Eeeeeewww. Mint flavored chicken. Blech!!! [​IMG]

But seriously, I dont think it would impart a flavor, unless you fed them handfuls of the stuff the day you butcher them.

6. daeichler

daeichler In the Brooder

Jun 28, 2008
    Quote:Chicken with Andes Mints...not my idea of something to look forward to. I wonder if anyone else has any thoughts or experience on this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by