1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens and mint??

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by daeichler, Jul 8, 2008.

1. daeichler

daeichler Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2008
    I am planning on raising (for the first time) broilers in a chicken tractor which will be stationary (the Deep Mulch plan as per Chicken Tractor by Andy Lee). In my garden I have a patch which has been overtaken with chocolate mint. Does anyone have any experience with putting chickens into a mint field and whether the mint flavor transfers into the meat? Thanks!
    David

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    I would tend to think that after 8 wks, there wouldn't be any mint left to worry about.

3. daeichler

Jun 28, 2008
    Yes (which would be good!) but I am wondering if the consumption of copious amount of chocolate mint during the 8 weeks (or part thereof) is likely to make the meat taste, well, chocolate minty.

4. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    I doubt it, but I had had honey from a ?bee farmer?? who's bees frequented a mint patch. That honey was heaven!! i really don't think it is an issue with chickens, though [​IMG]

5. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    Eeeeeewww. Mint flavored chicken. Blech!!! [​IMG]

But seriously, I dont think it would impart a flavor, unless you fed them handfuls of the stuff the day you butcher them.

6. daeichler

Jun 28, 2008
    Quote:Chicken with Andes Mints...not my idea of something to look forward to. I wonder if anyone else has any thoughts or experience on this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by