chickens and moles

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by newchicks, Nov 18, 2008.

1. newchicks

newchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2008
    KANSAS
    Happyheart early said that her neighbor likes her chickens because they help him get rid of his moles. We never had moles when we had our shepard rotti mix. she loved hunting them. We have a black lab now and no matter what she is low girl on the totem pole, poor girl. But we've had a huge problem lately, and would love to know how chickens can help us get rid of our moles. I'm sure they don't hunt them??? so what should we do to encourage them???? [​IMG]

2. esjro

esjro Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Stockton, NJ
    Oh, I opened this post thinking you were referring to moles on skin... my ladies love to peck at moles and scabs! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

My chickens like to peck the rings on my hand, for some reason, my garnet is their fave.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I dunno. My dog likes to dig up moles and voles, but she doesn't eat them. She left a fresh killed one laying in the yard the other day and I was certain the chickens would scarf it on down. They didn't, they ignored it.
    Don't think you can train them to do it. Maybe if they accidently discover one they might help you out.

5. happyheart

happyheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Thornville, Oh
    Ok let me explain better the chicken gets the grubworms, moles are always chasing the grubworms so when you get rid of the grubworms you get rid of the moles. Not to mention I did see one of my hens running across the yard with a mole hanging out of her mouth. [​IMG]

6. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    I've seen one of my hens with moles, mice, and frogs in her beak before. She likes to go out in the hay meadow to hunt so if you have a chicken like that it will cut down on the number of pests you have.

7. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Hmmm.... we have bad moles, and gophers... my lab mix digs but doesn't get them and my chickens free range. Apparently, no one here is doing their job right!! [​IMG]

8. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    My chickens haven't effected the mole population here, either. There are tunnels and mounds everywhere. If they get grubs, it's only the ones they happen to find on top of the ground. It's gunna be fun this winter when the rains come and those tunnels begin collapsing. [​IMG]

9. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    We have seen a decrease in our mole population this year, pretty much since the chickens have been outside. There are still some tunnels in the back that make the ground soft(grrrrr) but other than that, my girls seem to be doing their job pretty good. One of my dogs is an Excellent hunter of voles when we walk through the fields, and the chickens too like catching the mice, snakes, etc in the field. All my dogs will hunt, if there is something there, but I prefer them not to try digging up the old tunnels and making our yard into a landmine of holes. Those suckers are dangerous!!! I have also heard you can put gumballs down the gopher/mole holes and the resident animal will eat the goodie and thus parish because it cannot digest it. Kinda gross, but heard from several local folks that it works. [​IMG]

10. thecochincoop

thecochincoop Chillin' With My Peeps

I wish mine would get the moles. The moles got in the pen and killed all the grass making it a muddy pit. I guess they might dig them up except for the moles are the same size as my chickens [​IMG] They might be considered predators I don't know. I absolutely hate our moles. They leave hills that rival ground hog holes in size.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by