Chickens and muscovy ducks

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Missymac, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Missymac

Missymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    NY
    Is there a bet way to introduce them? Should I keep the ducklings in with the baby chicks until they all move to the pen together? Short visits to the coop? I brought the ducklings out to visit the chickens today and the poor chickens, including the roos were terrified of them. The baby ducks followed them wagging their tails and the chickens ran for their lives? ANyone else keep Muscovies with chickens? I have heard they live together in harmony..

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:My chickens and ducks do live together, but sleep in separate rooms, divided by a wall. Ducks are much more messier than chickens so unless your not going to have feed and water in your coop I'd keep them separate for sleeping. If you do decide to keep yours together make sure the ducks have a place to sleep on the floor thats not close to the roosting poles so they won't get pooped on during the night. I had ducks about 5 years before adding chickens so you can imagine what my poor ducks went through for a while getting use to some kind of animal they had never seen. Now my duck hens will grab ahold of the chickens feathers if they get to close. but all the ducks are very respectful of our little rooster. even our goose. [​IMG] They mostly live in harmony though.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  3. Axle Quails

Axle Quails Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    London
    yeh i got a duck and chicken [​IMG]

they grew up together and love free ranging together [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by