Chickens and music

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by brwneggs, Jul 20, 2010.

1. brwneggs

brwneggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Its cute and funny. I have one of the satlilite stations playing soft music, and they are sitting around calm, and seem to love it!! [​IMG] Has anyone else ever expierenced that that their chicks?

2. BantamoftheOpera

BantamoftheOpera Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Southern Maine
    No radio, but they love it when I sing around them. [​IMG]

3. itsachicken

itsachicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    St. Louis
    Quote:same here

4. swordgeek

swordgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Westford, MA
    Mine were raised on NPR! (Yes, liberal Massachusetts chickens...) When the coop was being finished after they had already moved in, that's all my husband would have on the radio he plugged in there to keep himself entertained. Whenever he's working outside nowadays, he leaves the radio on, with hard rock playing. I don't think they like that so much - they're slightly agitated with it playing. When I change it to softer, more melodious music, I swear they mellow out.

When they were chicks and still living in the basement, both kids would visit them throughout the day and sing to them, and always sing the same songs to them that they'd learned at school just as they were about to turn out the lights for the night. It was their bedtime routine, and the birds quieted right down. They still sing those same songs to them sometimes when they lock up the coop at night. The chickens seem to really like it.

My daughter sometimes brings her guitar out into the run and plays for them. I honestly think the birds enjoy the sound.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  5. tri-5-ron

tri-5-ron Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2010
    Orange County
    My chickens always enjoy listening to soft music when they are getting their Pedicures and Nails Polished, by their Swedish Masseuse, during the Aroma Therapy sessions, at the Day Spa, twice a week. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. brwneggs

Jun 21, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Uploading pictures-
    I wrote the admin., and I was told to ask in a forum (sorry I really do not know which one it goes into).
    I am having trouble uploading my jpg photo from my documents and settings.
    Would someone please be able to help me?
    Thank you!

7. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
  8. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    I always play music for the brooder chicks. When they are older I play it once in a while outdoors. It does seem to calm them. They like country and alternative rock [​IMG]

9. brwneggs

Jun 21, 2010
    Northern Indiana

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by