Chickens and my herb garden...

FlowerFarmer

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 10, 2011
I know chickens loves vegies... but does anyone know about being able to keep an herb garden without chickens running straight over to tear it up? I only have 5 backyard chickens that will be able to free range the yard a few hours in the evening under supervision. I have lots of flowers too... and I was hoping they would only have enough time/desire to take care of the bugs first. Any thoughts?

Mine eat many plants but leave others alone. I used to have container grown thyme and oregano on my back porch. It now grows wild on the ground in that area, and they come to my back porch when they are out of their yard every time I open the back door. I often give treats from this porch. They have never bothered these plants.

It's still good thyme and oregano, BTW, I still use it.

Mine don't bother much with the herbs. They don't seem to be a huge fan of strong smelling herbs. They don't bother my flowers, except for the hosta one year. They lightly scratch around in my perennial beds in the early spring. It's just enough to cultivate and save me some work, but not enough to do damage. I think I'm lucky. That doesn't seem to be the typical experience of people on the forum.

We have a larger property and mine have a lot of other things to eat, though. They have a lot of leaf litter to scratch through for bugs, plus they like to clean up under the bug zapper. I've planted clover, various dark leafy greens, various berries and some things go to seed that they like. You may just have to see how it goes. If I've just planted seeds, they can be attracted to the fresh dirt. I'll tell you that a light sprinkle from the hose will send them packing, if shooing doesn't work. Sometimes I block and area with temporary fencing or wire cages, until it gets established. Planting more dark leafy greens eventually diverted their attention from the hosta. Mine prefer chard.
wink.png

I also make sure they have at least one dry, fluffy dust bath available. They have a tendency to dust bath in flower beds sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom