Chickens and my lawn treatments

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by steve311, Mar 12, 2016.

1. steve311

steve311 New Egg

Mar 12, 2016
    Hi all, looking for some info on what is / is not safe for
    Chickens when treating my lawn. I typically over seed which I am about to do, as well as apply fast acting lime and fertilizers such as Scotts. I know it will be a battle against the flock (only 6) to keep my lawn healthy. Are the above mentioned lawn treatments ok for the birds? Thanks in advance

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Don't use any herbicides, and keep the birds off the lawn until the pellets are all dissolved into the soil. Out here in the boonies, our lawn is 'whatever grows' and gets mowed. It is mostly green, anyway. Mary

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

Manicured, cultured lawns and chickens don't mix, IMO.
    Chemicals aren't good for the chickens, and they'll likely tear up most the vegetation pretty quickly anyway.
    If you insist on culturing your lawn, I'd leave the chickens off of it for at least a week or two.
    They'll gobble those seeds up....so the seed can germinate and the chemicals can dissipate.

Where are you located?
    How long have you had your chickens?

4. steve311

steve311 New Egg

Mar 12, 2016
    Thanks for the replys. I live in southern NH and have had my birds since for a little under a year. I have had great grass for years and even last year they didn't destroy it at all (except some mulch beds), however I didn't apply much to it since I've had them. I was thinking keep them in their coop for about a week

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by