Chickens and my sons allergies...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by All about the EGG, Jan 26, 2008.

1. We have not ordered chics, yet. My son has asthesma, strong peanut allergy, mild allergy with dogs and cats. He takes an inhaler (pulmicort) once a day as a preventer for problems. We have not called his doctor yet to see if chics in the house for a month or two will be safe.
    I have no issue with keeping the chics in the garage. What would worry me would be drafts. Any opinions? Experiences? Thanks.

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Chicks produce a LOT of dust and feather dander. I would definitely check with the doctor about any concerns before getting some.

The garage may be a good alternative and with proper shields in place you can protect your chicks from drafts until they feather out. Or you may want to just wait to order until it's a bit warmer and brood them right inside their coop in a sectioned off portion with appropriate space for their size. Gradually increase space as they grow until they can have full run of their coop.

Jody

3. I probably should have mentioned how many. We are going to order seven. Three for us, four for a friend.

I am going to call the doctor on Monday.

Thanks.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Chicks will produce dust. To be safe, keep them in the garage or in only one room with the door shut. 7 isn't too bad, but will produce lots of airborne particulate matter.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I agree with Jody in checking with the doctor. It's unreal how dusty they are.

Also about drafts in the garage...just put some cardboard around for a shield.....even plastic tarp... and they should be fine.

6. h0pingforchicks

h0pingforchicks New Egg

Mar 4, 2014
    So how did things turn out? good i assume since you got them...but my kids all have allergies...aside from the dust do i need to be concerned with any other possible allergies?

7. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    This is a very old thread. The OP hasn't even visited the forum in about a year; don't know whether they will even know that their thread has been resurrected.[​IMG]

Interesting question, though. I hope you get some answers.

And, [​IMG]

8. h0pingforchicks

h0pingforchicks New Egg

Mar 4, 2014
    thanks...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by