chickens and nasturtiums

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Tagyritshell, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Tagyritshell

Tagyritshell In the Brooder

Mar 19, 2018
    Northern California
    We're working on creating our chicken's yard, they'll be going out in about a week, that is unless I chicken out and decide it's still too cold for them, lol. We are wanting to possibly put a planter box in there of something they and we would enjoy, and have decided that nasturtiums just might be the ticket. Does anyone know if the chickens would want to eat the nasturtiums? The goal is for them to eat them.

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Crowing

Sep 25, 2015
    Good says they should not eat the leafs,would put it in there maybe grow one tomato plant.How old are the chicks?

3. Dani & Mikey

Dani & Mikey Songster

Mar 12, 2018
    Hartwood, Virginia
    I have read they are good for them and plan on planing some myself this year. I will be interested to see what the chicken experts have to say!:highfive:

4. Tagyritshell

Tagyritshell In the Brooder

Mar 19, 2018
    Northern California
    They will be 6 weeks old on Thursday, i would plant the nasturtiums at the end of april, I just read in an article on here that green tomatoes are deadly to chickens so I would be concerned about that

5. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Crowing

Sep 25, 2015
    Oh,I would wait till the chickens are ten or twelve weeks then put them outside

6. room onthebroom

room onthebroom Animal-a-holic

May 4, 2015
    my chickens don't eat my nasturtiums, but they do eat every bite of the kale in my garden. Kale comes in green, purple & white & could give you some color variation as well as a healthy snack. Be prepared for them to demolish whatever you end up putting out there.

deepbluesea likes this.
  7. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    Mine nibbled at the nasturtiums I planted for them but mostly tried to dig it up. Silly chickens! If you want to grow stuff specifically for the chickens to eat, you can also try kale or parsley - those are very popular with my birds and grow fairly easily.

8. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Crowing

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    I planted some Nasturtiums last year & threw the whole plants in the run in the fall. They had a field day & ate everything except the woody stems. They went crazy for them, just like my snap pea plants.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: