Chickens and no eggs

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jlong9199, Jan 4, 2017.

1. jlong9199

jlong9199 New Egg

Jan 4, 2017
    I have had chickens for over 4 years, just added 20 new layers within the last 3 months. With a total of 25 hens, 20 of which should be laying. I am getting 0-1 egg a day. They have plenty of space, feed, water and a decently clean enviro. I give them scraps from the house, and all they can eat layer mash 18% protein feed. I have 4 roosters. I do not see them picking much at each other, nor evidence of broken eggs( golf balls to prevent that) they are free range within reason and roost together at night. They go through food like crazy, but I am seeing no results. It is "winter" here, but I have had plenty of eggs before in winter months, never this low. Any help would be appreciated....

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] The change of environment coupled with shortening day length is most likely causing this lack of production. Day length is starting to increase so your birds will start laying. Have you considered providing supplemental lighting to increase the 'day length' to 14 hours ?

1 person likes this.
  3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under jlong9199 [​IMG] Welcome!

Living in Aus and only having bantams who spend more time broody than they do actually laying, I am sorry that I am not able to help with your question. But, as sourland has suggested, the move plus reduced daylight hours is most likely the cause. There are lots of people posting threads about reduction in egg numbers.

I basically just wanted to add that I hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

4. jlong9199

jlong9199 New Egg

Jan 4, 2017
    I supplement with light to an extra 6 hours a day, which is roughly 14 hours. I just have never had this much of an issue. Flock integration was smooth and occurred just before laying, maybe 3-4 days. They always were together from hatchlings, just separated by chicken wire

5. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish

Great advice. That's what I would have suggested.

6. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens Jlong

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    could they be laying some eggs while free ranging? I do think once it gets closer to spring, they will lay with gusto.

1 person likes this.
  8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas and :welcome! Great to have you with us! I agree with the above posters...once spring has sprung...and even before, you'll be back in the egg game. Best of luck to you! :weee

9. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I hope the gradually lengthening daylight hours bring you more eggs soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by