Chickens and onions

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Annasg, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Annasg

Annasg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2013
    OH MY! My girls have gotten into some red onion. Does anyone know if this will hurt them. I think I read some place that onion is not good for them? They are 12 weeks old. Does anyone know anything about this?

2. chickcrack

chickcrack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    As far as I know it can make the eggs taste off which is why they say not to feed it. But I don't think it's bad for them. Hope that's right because my girls love red onion!

3. Annasg

Jun 13, 2013
    Mine are not laying yet so I guess the eggs are still safe from the taste. I hope. They won't be laying for at least another month or more.

4. BruceAZ

BruceAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2016
    Valley of the Sun :)
    chickens are omnivores so they will eat pretty much anything..

but if you put their health and egg quality into consideration then

it's best to avoid certain foods.. it will affect the quality of the eggs.. onions or garlic for example

5. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    Onions and garlic in large quantities can oxidize red blood cells, causing anemia. A little bit every once in a while won't hurt, but a large amount all at once can result in death.

6. Annasg

Jun 13, 2013
    Thank you. That is good to know. I was thinking that I had read someplace or heard it in a video that onions can cause problems. I just wasn't sure. I read so much, I thought I had possibly gotten my wires crossed. Could I have also read that potato peels harm them?

7. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    When potato peels turn green from sun exposure, they contain the toxin solanine...but again the dose needed to cause issues is fairly high. Solanine is also contained in tomato plants--avoid giving the plants themselves, use caution with green tomatoes, red tomatoes are perfectly fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by