Chickens and Pigeons

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by FriendlyFlyer, Aug 17, 2011.

1. FriendlyFlyer

FriendlyFlyer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Hello. I have seen pigeons at swap meets, farm houses, and even the zoo and they seem so freindly and amazing! I REALLY want to buy two. My question is, if the pigeons are given the correct housing at the top of the coop, can they be kept in with the chickens? They can fly up in their own area but also go down to see the chickens if they want. They can also go outside and fly in the (completely) enclosed run outside. Can they be kept together? If they can, will they exit through the chicken door (on the ground) to the run?

2. abluechipstock

abluechipstock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
    yes they can be kept with chickens as long as they have perches they can get up on, they will learn to go through the chicken door, they are pretty smart, the only thing i wouldn't do is let them breed because when the pigeon babies fledge and go to the floor the chickens will peck the babies, so i would get all males or females, hope this helps [​IMG]

3. Lofty Dreams

Lofty Dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Minnesota
    It should be fine with plenty of space they might figure out how to use the door with training

4. FriendlyFlyer

FriendlyFlyer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    YES!! That does help abluechipstock! Thank you too Lofty Dreams! I was hoping I would get replies like that. Thanks for reassuring me that I can continue with my dream. Is there any advice you have on feeding and watering the pigeons and chickens? Seperate? Together? Etc.

5. abluechipstock

abluechipstock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
    Pigeons will eat and drink right along side the chickens. They can eat the same stuff also. Pigeons like to take baths so I would put a pan with water in there a few times a week

6. Lofty Dreams

Lofty Dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Minnesota
    Their is these pellets that can be feed to both pigeons and chickens If only I ncould remember what they were called

7. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    don't forget they share the same parasites.... so, treat one treat all...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by