chickens and pigs...will they get along?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Bullettooth, Dec 27, 2014.

1. Bullettooth

Bullettooth New Egg

Dec 25, 2014
    I have 25 hens and 2 roosters. They have a large coop, their run is a electronic fence of about 1.25 acres. They share this with 2 goats. We are thinking of adding 1-2 guinea pigs.
    My question is: can i put them together in the same fenced in area?
    This fence is 5 strings 3 - 4 inches apart starting at 3 inches above the ground.
    We also plan on adding 5 ducks this month too.
    I can extend the fence another acre too if you advise me too.
    Thanks so much for your input!

2. BatesPiggery

BatesPiggery Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2014
    Hawthorne, FL
    When you say Guinea pigs, I assume you don't mean the rodent. I raise pigs, Hampshires and Yorkshires, and if they are on the right diet, getting the right nutrients there shouldn't be a problem. However, I have heard horror stories of pigs killing chickens and eating them. I personally wouldn't let them be together, just to be safe. I keep my pork and poultry separate. Pigs after all are omnivores. If you have any more hog related questions feel free to contact me.
    Best of luck,
    Samantha

3. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

If you are talking about the rodent pigs, not swine then I would highly advice against it as there is a good chance the chickens will attack it, especially the roosters or a broody hen...

4. Bullettooth

Bullettooth New Egg

Dec 25, 2014
    Sorry it is a guinea hog. Its a small farm pig. They get about 150-250 lbs.

5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

X2. I would keep them separate.

6. BatesPiggery

BatesPiggery Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2014
    Hawthorne, FL
    Yeah I figured, anyways I can't recommend that you put them in the same space. Maybe wire off an area just for the pigs, and they should be fine that way the chickens can get away if they need to.

7. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

OK, now that that is established, that breed of swine is generally more 'docile' then others around other animals, but I personally still would not trust them around poultry unsupervised...

1 person likes this.
  8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Cause everyone loves chicken for dinner [​IMG]

9. farmgirl360

farmgirl360 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2014
    Southern Illinois
    they should get along chickens and pigs the old saying is you feed the cows and the cow poop feeds the hogs and the hog poop feeds the chickens
    so in anyways that means they would stick them all together

10. stickers

stickers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Hudson
    Absolutely not, pigs will likely eat them. Made that mistake myself, thought a fox was getting in but then saw the pigs hunt a hen like a pack of dogs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by