Chickens and pigs

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jackiepope, Apr 6, 2011.

1. jackiepope

jackiepope New Egg

Apr 6, 2011
    Can you put a chicken coop with layers beside a pig pen? We aren't sure whether the two species would get along or if there would be any problems with the hens not wanting to lay eggs. Does anyone have any ideas about this?

2. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I don't see any way it would be a problem. On farms many people let their animals all free range together. I can't see how a pig would stop your chickens from laying. Mine get chased by my dog on a regular basis and still lay everyday.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    As long as you know that pigs will eat chickens if they get the chance.

I.e. you may lose any chickens that go 'over the fence', and you'd want it to be a *particularly* hogproof fence so's not to be chumming the pigs into breaking into the chicken yard.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

4. dma6473

dma6473 New Egg

Feb 28, 2011
    I think it depends on the pig. I have had a pig pull a baby goat under the boards on his pen. The same pig also killed and ate a turkey that landed in it's pen. I had a different pig who kind of free ranged and got along with all of the fowl. But it would eat any eggs it could find and get to.

5. catchthewind

catchthewind Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Vancouver Island
    Quote:Wow! Learn something new every day. I didn't know pigs would do things like that. [​IMG]

6. The Driver

The Driver Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2011
    The Lone Star State!
    Only enemy a pig has is Man and Alligators!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by