Chickens and pigs

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jackiepope, Apr 6, 2011.

1. jackiepope

jackiepope Hatching

Apr 6, 2011
    Can you put a chicken coop with layers beside a pig pen? We aren't sure whether the two species would get along or if there would be any problems with the hens not wanting to lay eggs. Does anyone have any ideas about this?

2. wbruder17

wbruder17 Songster

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I don't see any way it would be a problem. On farms many people let their animals all free range together. I can't see how a pig would stop your chickens from laying. Mine get chased by my dog on a regular basis and still lay everyday.

Aji Dulce likes this.
  3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    As long as you know that pigs will eat chickens if they get the chance.

I.e. you may lose any chickens that go 'over the fence', and you'd want it to be a *particularly* hogproof fence so's not to be chumming the pigs into breaking into the chicken yard.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

4. dma6473

dma6473 Hatching

Feb 28, 2011
    I think it depends on the pig. I have had a pig pull a baby goat under the boards on his pen. The same pig also killed and ate a turkey that landed in it's pen. I had a different pig who kind of free ranged and got along with all of the fowl. But it would eat any eggs it could find and get to.

5. catchthewind

catchthewind Songster

Jan 27, 2011
    Vancouver Island
    Quote:Wow! Learn something new every day. I didn't know pigs would do things like that. [​IMG]

6. The Driver

The Driver In the Brooder

Mar 19, 2011
    The Lone Star State!
    Only enemy a pig has is Man and Alligators!

7. Aji Dulce

Aji Dulce Songster

Jun 30, 2013
    Wake Forest NC
    Wow. Makes sense though as pigs are meat eaters. Pigs will eat mice and snakes.

8. RiverOtter

RiverOtter Songster

Nov 4, 2009
    NY
    I've raised both for years.
    Most pigs are just fine with birds, never think to bother them and biddies sleep on their backs. It's cute.

But some pigs are flat out carnivorous. They'll not just eat them, but some will actually stalk and pounce on birds. If you even think that you might have that sort of pig, send it to Camp Kenmore the moment you suspect. Not only will nothing change them, but that's always the same pig that wants to break feeders, get out of it's pen, fight it's pen-mates, etc. And they'll teach the others the same tricks. I've regretted it every time I've given a pig the benefit of the doubt.

So I'd say yes, so long as you keep in mind that pigs are edible at every size, and short-term residents anyway (even if you're keeping one for breeding or as a pet, a troublesome pig isn't good for either of those things and there are plenty more pigs who are) so don't try to tough out any trouble.

Aji Dulce likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by