Chickens and Poison Ivy

Chickadee93

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 1, 2009
PA
My yard has a LOT of poison ivy in the back, where the woods and most space are. My question is should I be worrying about the chickens in the ivy (I am REALLY allergic to poison ivy) or should I just relocate the future coop plan to another area? I'm thinking I should just play it safe and put the coop somewhere 'safe'

It will probably not hurt the chickens (I don't know about chickens specifically but a variety of birds eat the berries with no ill effect)... BUT as you have probably already figured, if the chickens touch the poison ivy and then you touch the chickens, voila, you've got poison ivy. Same as a dog or whatever.

So, maybe best to keep the chickens in the poison-ivy-free area, unless you know someone willing to do regular poison ivy sweeps of the run (these will be penned up, yes, not free range? If they are free range, they will get into the poison ivy no matter what)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Agree totally with this advise. Also, just as a note if you can find the plant jewel weed in your area - grows in swamp/wet areas. And looks a lot like poison have but has bright flowers on it.Take some of it up, crush it up and make a mixture of it and rubbing alcohol. Let it sit for about 2 weeks before use. Then after you have any kind of poison ivy, wipe with this mix. It is the best dry up and anti itch treatment I have found for poison ivy and with goats that walk in the woods, I need to have a treatment ready at all times! I have my 2 quarts ready for the upcoming season. It also works well on treating poison sumac as well.

Quote:
Yea they need to be penned (dogs & lots of cars and an ....unusual????....neighbor.
roll.png
)

But I'm planning big so they have lots of space
smile.png

I would have to keep my chickens or any other animal of mine up away from poison oak...
(The plants dont usually hurt animals...)but, (like you)I am severely allergic to it..and just petting something that has walked through or even passed by it would get me Fast!!

Good luck with your placement...hopefully in an oak/Ivy free place..
Ps=dont forget about the sumac too!

Ditto on the jewelweed, btw -- I don't know if it grows where you are, but if it does, I've had excellent results from smearing the 'goo' from squished stems on poison ivy. Good stuff .

Pat

I would spray the Ivy....just talking about it makes me itch....start early in the spring and keep spraying the Round-up to it! Even if my coop was located somewhere else in the yard.
Good Luck and stay safe!
HappyHatch'en

Back
Top Bottom