Chickens and ponds anyone?

ninabeast

Songster
8 Years
Apr 10, 2011
Upstate New York
Our chickens are 8 months old and free range pretty much all day. We have been planning a medium-sized pond ( 40' x 44' x 3' deep) for a while now, and just completed excavation, added the lining, and started filling last weekend.

So far, the chickens seems to be staying away from it, even though they used to hunt and scratch in the dirt hole before last weekend. Do any of you have ponds, and, if so, do you worry about your chickens drowning? I know they aren't the sharpest pencils in the animal kingdom pencil box, but will they drown themselves?

Also, I know frogs will find our pond next summer. I love the sound they make, so I'm happy about that, EXCEPT I was just informed that they WILL be mulched by the lawnmower. How funny is it that my first thought was "Ewwww" followed a millisecond later by "Oooo. I wonder if the chickens will eat fresh frog guts?"

Not a problem, chickens are more likely to drown in a half full water trough without an escape ladder. I wish I had the picture but I had one get its head stuck drinking from a dripping faucet in my backyard and died. A piece af welded 2X4 wire attached to the trough or barrel gives them an escape ladder, you con put something similar in your pond for safety.

I hope you're not planning on getting any ducks or geese or fish--- and I hope you pond will be located in an area with minimal runoff potential for sediment capture...

otherwise... within a year or two-- your 3' deep pond, will be nothing but a mudhole

Quote:
NO geese, ducks, or fish. And no chance for run off capture. I think we'll be okay. Famous last words...hey, I'm not the Project Leader on this one, so I'm keeping my mouth shut.

We have a Pond. We raised Call Ducks and fish and all fine. Now we have ONLY Silkie Chickens and Fish. We have flowers planted around the Pond and the Chickens do not have a problem. They just walk around it. NEVER had a problem. And we always have frogs in the Spring and Summer. Aria

AND our Silkie Chickens 16 and 3 Silkie Roosters Free Range. We do NOT need to mow the grass often. They love the green grass...and it's good for the Silkies. Aria

Our chickens are 10 months old & really do not bother w/ the pond which is right in front of their shed turned coop & run.

Here is a video from when we first built our pond when we moved in to our home over 10 years ago: Our Pond Story http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHQ2Nx44Whk

Here
is what it looks like now at the end of season w/ the plastic wrapped chicken run in background

91292_homeless_chicken_shelter_w_squatters_001.jpg

YES! You will get frogs but they STAY near/in the water but like to wander at night during mating season
91292_our_baby_frogs_005.jpg

waterfall in summer
91292_pond_019.jpg

pond in winter
91292_2-22-08_snowstorm.jpg

We lived & learned & if had to do it again I think we wouldn't as we spent more time pruning, cleaning filter box, etc than we spent enjoying it
roll.png

I would like a natural body of fresh water on property of our next home...one you don't need to filter, net, winterize, feed, etc.. then I think we would have time to enjoy it.

By the way we had a visitor to pond this morning since all vegetation has been cut back...The Great Blue Heron....trying to make a snack out of our fish! The hounds Buddy & Jolie went flying out back door & it flew away.

If your pond is deep enough & has ample vegetation you shouldn't have a problem w/ birds of prey.
All I can say is do NOT overstock or plant invasive plants. Don't let the salesperson sell you an expensive UV Sterilizer as you really do not need it! All we use is mosqioto control & salt in our pond.
Yes you will get unicellular algae in the Spring but it all clears up as the good bacteria grows & you can have crystal clear water w/o doing nothing
wink.png

As far as chickens walking on the ice...I can not tell you about that as we didn't shut down the waterfall & blow out the lines yet & have freezing temps but last year we had to put a temporary fence around the whole pond as our female dog Jolie decided it was fun to walk on ice!
barnie.gif

All my best to you & yours in your pond venture...it can be very fun & relaxing...just do alot of research first & maybe have an area when it is still new that the chickens can walk up & out in case of an accident
smile.png

Our chickens are enclosed in a large aviary with a pair of ducks and some racing pigeons. I have never had a problem, but I didn't let the babies wander around in there until thry were about 6 weeks old. And yes, keeping it clean is a major chore. My BF is in charge of that...
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom