1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens and quail living together?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Brohnson, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Brohnson

Brohnson Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2014
    I have 10 quail now and I would love to put in a couple egg laying hens in with them too. Is this a problem and if not what type of chicken goes well with the corturnix quail? Also remember I live in Northern Michigan so cold weather is an issue.

Thanks, Tim

2. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

YOu shouldn't put them together. If you do a BYC search you will see this is a very popular question and has been answered many times.

Chickens carry diseases that they are resistant to but are fatal to quail. Contact or feces consumption is the easiest way for these diseases to spread. Wash your hands between handling them and make sure to use separate tools for your quail/chicken chores. Coryza, MG, and Blackhead are probably the most commonly transmissible diseases and a chicken can carry any of those three it's entire life and show no symptoms. Here is a quail with advanced coryza. There is another example in my Signature under the link this is why we don't keep quail with chickens.

Poultry disease index here is a list with descriptions of most poultry diseases, if you still want to keep quail and chickens together at least read through the descriptions of Coryza, MG and blackhead.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by