Chickens and quail together

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Oblio13, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Seem to be working out well. I thought the chickens would pick on the quail, but they completely ignore them. We open the coop door every afternoon to let the chickens free range, and the quail rarely venture outside. When they do, they stick around and we've always been able to recapture them with our hands or a net. They want to get back in, but aren't bright enough to find the door on their own.

[​IMG]

2. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I would be afraid the chickens would kill the quail...if not in aggression, but by stepping on them! Typically the chickens will roost and quail sleep on the floor. I know my girls are clumsy when jumping down and I've had some accidents with some of my smaller bantams. I ended up having to put a box in on the floor to prevent any more tragedies!

Are these quail young? When they are mature, you probably will not see them again. When young, quail can be fairly tame. As soon as they get a taste of freedom, you will not see them again unless you keep one female to call all the others in. It can be done, but unless you are planning to release them, I would not take chances.

Good luck with your quail! I'm always a little weary about mixing species, but different things seem to work for different people.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by