Chickens and quail?

Quailophile

In the Brooder
Nov 20, 2020
Hi,
Is it OK to keep a small, bantam hen in with my quail? I have heard that chickens can give quail diseases, but I would be hatching this chicken myself.

Hi,
Is it OK to keep a small, bantam hen in with my quail? I have heard that chickens can give quail diseases, but I would be hatching this chicken myself.
not a good idea.. except the fact that it's only ONE bantam chicken.. but then again, she won't have any friends ):

Up to you, but I wouldn't.

Just in general, not a good idea.
As mentioned, fighting could occur and lead to quail (or chicken) deaths. Chickens need nests to lay eggs, while quail lay eggs on the floor. Quail feed is rich in protein while chickens don't really need that much. Chickens like to eat bugs and grass on fresh lawn, so keeping them in a quail enclosure would make them constantly try to escape.
Furthermore, chickens sleep on roosts, while quail sleep on the cage floor.

All in all, not a great idea. If you have standard sized chickens, the bantam would be better off with its own species..

Just in general, not a good idea.
As mentioned, fighting could occur and lead to quail (or chicken) deaths. Chickens need nests to lay eggs, while quail lay eggs on the floor. Quail feed is rich in protein while chickens don't really need that much. Chickens like to eat bugs and grass on fresh lawn, so keeping them in a quail enclosure would make them constantly try to escape.
Furthermore, chickens sleep on roosts, while quail sleep on the cage floor.

All in all, not a great idea. If you have standard sized chickens, the bantam would be better off with its own species..
OK, thanks. I don't have any chickens, just the quail. They are in a pen on the ground, with an enclosed "coop" area. It would be easy to add a few perches in the coop and pen. I would also let the chicken out into the yard for exercise every day when I clean. But if it's not a good idea, I guess I won't.
P1090191.JPG

OK, thanks. I don't have any chickens, just the quail. They are in a pen on the ground, with an enclosed "coop" area. It would be easy to add a few perches in the coop and pen. I would also let the chicken out into the yard for exercise every day when I clean. But if it's not a good idea, I guess I won't.View attachment 2659835
First, having only one chicken is not the best idea. they need friends. they are very interactive birds.
maybe make a separate coop, hatch at least 2 chickens, then put the coop right next to the quail so they can interact with the quail :)

First, having only one chicken is not the best idea. they need friends. they are very interactive birds.
maybe make a separate coop, hatch at least 2 chickens, then put the coop right next to the quail so they can interact with the quail :)
I can't add any more structures. I'm amazed that the landlady is letting me keep what I have, LOL. I can't push it. That's why I wanted to put them in with the quail.

Back
Top Bottom