Chickens and Rabbits... Do or Dont?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by rosyposyosy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    i am thinking about getting a rabbit. would they be ok in the same run or not?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2007
  2. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    I let my dutch rabbits run with the chickens until I found out that rabbits should not be on pine shavings. Something about it causing liver problems. As for the rabbits and chickens getting along, there were no problems. Maybe someone with more experience with rabbits than me can answer your question better.

Gayle

3. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    I hope it's ok! I have a wild rabbit (my they grown them small here in La) that hangs around my coops. Sometimes I even throw it a little scratch. It can't get to the chickens feed as I keep it in the coop. But now it's taken up residence, maybe even digging a hole, under the playhouse coop. [​IMG]

4. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    wow that is good info. i am glad it works. how much square feet would a rabbit need in a run? also, could they share a coop or not?

5. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    Well considering the size of a rabbit hutch, about any size chicken run would make them very happy. My 2 bunnies shared the coop with 30 chickens with not problems. Just remember, rabbits dig!
    Gayle

6. intownfarm

intownfarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2007
    I had 3 giant chinchilla rabbits with about 14 hens. Just make sure the rabbits don't eat kerel corn if you feed any to your hens. The rabbits love it but it can cause impactions and even death. Good Luck

7. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    Quote:if you check out www.hencam.com
    terry is the lady who has the site. she has rabbits in with her chickens in the run. i remember her telling me that she has the fencing burried so deep in the ground, so they won't dig out. but she should be able to answer all your questions. she will email you usually with a few hours or by the end of the day to let you know.
    she also has a cookbook she wrote all about cooking with eggs. she is a chef, i want to get that cookbook.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by