chickens and rabbits (wild) with torn off heads

roostyboy

Hatching
Sep 23, 2015
Ariel, Wa
what on earth would be doing this???? we have had coyote problems in the past but they will leave a mess of feathers and take the bird!!!!! help! my chickens free range during the day and are in coop at night but the last 2 chickens I found headless, were just inside the chicken run with the gate open and the rabbit was on the outside in the yard near the coop

Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us, though I wish it were under better circumstances!

jumpy.gif
D.gif
welcome-byc.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif

This sounds like a racoon to me, or at least that is what a raccoon did to a couple of our chickens a couple years ago.

FIRST A SAD WELCOME.
welcome-byc.gif

Do you by chance have weasels or mink living in area. I know that most predators kill and carry off and eat their prey. This is different , like a malicious action. I think that weasels and minks target to drink the blood and are satisfied.

I'm so sorry that happened! Without knowing where you live, how the predator got in, what kind of wire fencing and latches you have, and a little more info. no one can jump to conclusions. Sounds like the coop gate was opened with headless birds? That screams raccoon. We have coyotes here too. Like you said, we find feathers only, so here's the best I can do, a link to hopefully help you know what you are dealing with. Very best of luck!
http://www.extension.org/pages/71204/predator-management-for-small-and-backyard-poultry-flocks#.Ves6txHBzGc

I think raccoon also but, you could post in fullest detail (photos too, if you have any) on the predator section. They are pretty good at naming the pred. & what to do about them

Welcome to BYC

I'm sorry about your losses. I hope you figure out the cause and can remedy it quickly. Unfortunately, once a predator finds an easy meal, they will often come back.

Good luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom