1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chickens and rabbits

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by jaredslilcluckers, Apr 14, 2009.

1. jaredslilcluckers

jaredslilcluckers Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2009
    Are rabbits ever any promblem with chickens

2. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    check out hencam.com. The lady who has the web cam has a blog today about keeping her rabbit with her chickens. It might help

3. Hippie Chickie

Hippie Chickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Port Orchard
    I'm a mail carrier and on one of the routes I deliver someone has their rabbit hutch in the chicken run. I keep meaning to take my camera to work when I run that route to take a pic but I keep forgetting. They do have a very cute coop. That is actually why I want to take the camera. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

My childhood friends and livestock raisers (not really farmers, but ya know) had a big fat old rabbit that lived in a smaller pen inside a chicken coop.

I'm really not sure what the benefit to that situation is? Anybody?

5. Garden Gal

Garden Gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Virginia
    I am just getting into chickens and rabbits but have not purchased them yet. I've read somewhere that rabbits and chickens should not be housed together because they can spread / share some of the same diseases. This may not be as much of an issue if the hutch is outdoors in the run, but I am going to keep checking...

6. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    my rabbit hutches are in my duck yard for the moment... and I have not had any problems. they are there until I can get another yard fenced in( i lost their fenced in area do to hurricane Ike.)

7. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    we have wild rabbits here... every now and then you'll get teritorial bucks that will try and chase your chickens away.

8. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    There is a thread from several months ago about pet rabbits that kill chickens.

9. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    The biggest rason not to hose chickens and rabbits together is the spread of Coccidiosis, both can carry it and will keep transfering it back and forth. making it near impossable to get rid of.

chickens roosting on rabit cages is also another reason for not housing them together , the poop on the fur the chance the rabbt injesting the poop is too high. not something I would ever do.
    rabbits can get sick from injusting chicken waste,

10. Sallyschickens

Sallyschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    Puget Sound Baby!
    Quote:I just checked this web site out. It is so cute!

I have a hen house above my rabbit hutch in a 20x20 run. I never thought this would be a problem. They happily cohabitate. Hens awake during the day rabbits come out at night. Like shift work.

We have never had a problem with sicknesses. I do keep the run and coop pretty clean and with only 3 chickens and 2 bunnies there is lots of room to run around. (Now though, I will keep a good eye out for symptems of coccidiosis.)

The bottom of the coop is lined with a plastic liner to keep all poop out of the bunnies fur. I just pick up the liner and dump it into my garden every morning. I usually hose it off once a week. And like I said, the run is big enough for the bunnies not to run into a bunch of chicken poop. I have a nice fine toothed rake that I use to rake the run out in the evenings, mainly because I hate stepping in gobs of chcken poop. I'm glad I did this because it apparently has kept everyone free from disease.

In the evenings before the girls go up to roost, the bunnies and chickens hang out together. Pretty peacefully except when my RIR feels like fussing at someone, bunny or her sisters. She is such a crab! We have our deck chairs out there just to watch them, it is so entertaining especially with a glass of wine. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by