Chickens and rain

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kezzie, May 5, 2009.

1. Kezzie

Kezzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Coastal Georgia
    Hi, all!

This is my babies' second day out in the chicken tractor. We're having a thunderstorm right now. At first, about half of the tractor was covered with a tarp. I thought they would all hang out under the tarp when the rain started. But no- most of them are soaking wet now. I went out in the rain and covered the rest of the tractor with some wavy PVC roofing panels I bought. So it's 95% covered now. My chicks are all 7-9 weeks old. Mostly but not totally feathered. We're in Georgia so it's 85 right now and only going down to about 71 tonight. Will they dry off enough on their own? Or what do I need to do?

I love them dearly but they're not going to win any science fairs....[​IMG]

2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Mine haven't been dry for any day in the past 2 weeks. Some chickens like rain. So long as they have a choice of shelter, I think they're fine. You still have a light on them in their bed, right? They can go to it at will if they get chilled right? They'll sit under that warm lamp and preen their feathers dry at night.

3. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

My 8 and 9 weekers were out all day in the rain. It's about, oh, 55 here [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by