Chickens and rain

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cmclean, Oct 10, 2011.

1. cmclean

cmclean Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2011
    Pasadena,TX
    Because my area (Houston,TX) has been in a severe drought for the last 9 mths, my hens have never seen rain. They went nuts yesterday when my area got 5 inches of rain in 4 hours!! (Praise the Lord, we needed it!) The hens just stood in the downpour. We ended up herding them into the coop, but they didn't want to go in. How silly they looked; drenched to the skin!!! What do "normal" chickens do when it rains?????
    [​IMG]

2. BantamoftheOpera

BantamoftheOpera Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Southern Maine
    Mine are obsessed with the rain. The only one I try to keep out of it is my silkie, because I have to blow dry the poor thing every time it rains.

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Run around in it. Scratch in the mud. etc

They will go under an overhang or bush if it is heavy rain.

Imp

4. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Yep, it was a much needed rainy day yesterday. My flock had a blast playing in it. You would almost think they were part duck! Atleast they did get under cover when the rain got heavy at times.

5. cmclean

cmclean Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2011
    Pasadena,TX
    So it is not odd that they "played" in the rain???

6. Florida_country_boy

Florida_country_boy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    My chickens do not mind the rain at all, they just go about doing their normal activities. Sometimes they will go under my deck when it is really heavy, but for the most part they just free-range in the pasture.

7. BCchick

BCchick Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2011
    Mine did the same thing. Just went about their business as if it were a normal day. They looked like drowned rats! I figure if they get cold or something they would go in the coop where it's dry.

8. JerseyFresh

JerseyFresh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Utah
    Mine don't care or are too dumb to notice.

9. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Nope, not odd at all. Chickens are happy running about in it; however just be prepared to rescue the dingy ones that freeze in hard rain. I had younger ones do that before. Even had a hen that kept looking up at the hard rain. I thought she was gonna drown herself so I dashed out to put her in the coop.
    The more normal chickens tend to go for cover when the rain gets heavy. They mainly prefer the softer kinda rain.

10. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    We have lots of rain.

If the rain is 'regular' moderate rain the birds go about their normal lives.

I the rain is heavy, there is a lot of wind, or the rain turns to snow they stay in the coop then make a mad dash for the agricultural shed or the outhouse where they spend the day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by