chickens and rat poison

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Chickenrandomness, May 2, 2011.

1. we've been haveing a big rat problem in out barn. so my dad bought some rat poison. we were going to put the poison out in the barn last weekend and put the chickens in this little coop i had originally built for them, but we had the most terrible blizzard! so we couldn't. so my dad thought we could pen up the chickens and put up the poison out . i'm kind of ok with that, but the thing i'm worried about is when we let the chickens back out of the pen. my dad says we'll pick up the rat poison, but there is room for alot of error! i'm really worried.

would rat poison kill a chicken?

2. chickcorner

chickcorner Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    Ma
    I would be nervous to, what about trying a have a hart trap

3. Quote:we've tried traps for months and only caught 2 rats

4. YYZ

YYZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Maine
    Chickens check everything out...dont risk it!

how can you pick up Rat poison after putting it down? Couldnt it spread?

5. Quote:yes. but theres no arguing with my dad [​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  6. KlaHaYa Gardens

KlaHaYa Gardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    There are rat bait boxes that vary in price from $15 to $30. Designed to allow the rat to the poison and keep the chicken out.

HOWEVER, if you have your chickens penned for $2 or $3 days . . . and you see the rats because they are that big of a problem, just toss those green or yellow bait blocks to them and watch them grab them and drag them into their hole to poison their family members. They and you will think its Christmas![​IMG] Rats dead within a day or two. You can double check for rat bait left laying around -- it probably won't be there, and then let your birds out.

BTW, the rat poisons that I buy are designed to be harmless to other pets and birds, while only killing the rodents -- nevertheless, when I have used it, (which I did recently for a friend who had a rat infestation) I took precautions for the birds.

7. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    Ya my dad used poison on mice. One of my show hens almost died after she ate a poisoned mouse. You just have to poison the rats though. The bait blocks idea is a good one. Keep your food in metal containers and you could even pick the food up at night if it isn't too much work. No need to make it too easy for the rats. If you keep poison out you should be able to keep ahead of the rats.

8. KlaHaYa Gardens

Apr 14, 2011
  9. Quote:i appreciate you helping me! but........................... once again, its my dad... he don't care about the chickens, said it himself that he hated them. i don't think he wants to kill them, but he doesn't care about the poison he uses......

10. KlaHaYa Gardens

Apr 14, 2011
    Quote:i appreciate you helping me! but........................... once again, its my dad... he don't care about the chickens, said it himself that he hated them. i don't think he wants to kill them, but he doesn't care about the poison he uses......

Okay. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by