Chickens and Roundup

tomingreeneco

Songster
9 Years
Jun 29, 2010
Greene County, PA
Would appreciate some suggestions on getting rid of unwanted weeds, grass etc. without using chemicals that might harm my flock if they eat the treated vegetation. Anyone have any experience with this problem? The flock (ducks, chickens, guineas) all free range.

You need to keep them completely off any vegetation that's been sprayed for a minimum of 24 hrs, preferably 72hrs for regular round up. If you're using Round up plus then I wouldn't be happy letting them back on for a minimum of a week in dry weather. Round up plus hangs around for a nasty amount of time.

My husband needs to use some round-up on a pathway so he's going to use Round Up on a Monday morning. Fence off the area and keep them off all week just to be safe. Since the birds are only allowed to free range when I'm home it gives them a limited amount of time to get in trouble.

I use vinegar. It kills every plant it touches -- quickly. Just apply it to the foliage. Mix it with a bit of dish soap to cut the wax on the leaves.
thumbsup.gif
Salt water works too but I worry about it building up in the soil.

My chickens are my weed eaters! For the parts of my flower beds that I don't want them in, I pick the weeds myself. If I have to use something with chemicals in it, I keep the chickens away for as long as possible.

I've started using a propane torch for that kind of thing. Not like the little bottle kind you use for soldering copper pipe, but the kind my grandpa used to call a flamethrower. He used one along fencelines to clear vegetation which he couldn't spray due to livestock. It works well though doesn't keep weeds cleared out for as long as roundup does.

Gotta make sure you don't start a grass fire too.
big_smile.png

Thanks! I'll try the vinegar. I have one of those propane torches and it works great on the grass that grows between the pavers. But I needed something to use in the mulch beds. A propane torch and wood chips don't go well together.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom