Chickens and shiny objects

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by DesireeRowe, Aug 5, 2014.

1. DesireeRowe

DesireeRowe Just Hatched

Aug 5, 2014
    I have noticed that my chickens love to peck at my watch, wedding ring and they grab at my necklace, has anyone else encountered this and if so do you know why they love shiny objects. How do I get them to stop.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Ya, it is pretty common, most birds seem to like shiny things, not sure why, wonder if it has something to do with some of their natural foods like beetles etc that they like to eat also being reflective and shiny. Earlier this year there was a thread where somebody's chick ate a really expensive diamond earing. Don't know how you would get them to stop, just be careful to keep stuff like jewelry out of their reach.

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    You really can't "stop" them - they are acting on instinct. If they get too insistent about my ring I just flip it around so the stone is on the inside - the band isn't nearly as interesting to them. For necklaces, just drop them inside your shirt.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

You will never get them to stop. I can't wear any jewelry around my chickens. They will yank earrings right out of my ears, rings off my fingers, ect... Their beaks are sharp so be careful. Watch your face too. They can go after your teeth when you smile or get too close and they can do damage to your lips!

Enjoy your flock, they are just curious and fun loving. :)

5. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    AS a safeguard don't hold chicks or chickens up to your face unless you are wearing glasses or goggles. Eyes are shiny and a very tempting target for beaks. A great reason to have goggles on kids and tell them NOT to hold birds up to their face. It's not an aggressive act by chickens, it's just instinct and curiosity. They don't have hands so they test everything by pecking at it.

7. HugHess

HugHess Chickrack Addict

Jul 14, 2014
    Go BROWNS
    S a safeguard don't hold chicks or chickens up to your face unless you are wearing glasses or goggles.  Eyes are shiny and a very tempting target for beaks.  A great reason to  have goggles on kids and tell them NOT to hold birds up to their face.  It's not an aggressive act by chickens, it's just instinct and curiosity.  They don't have hands so they test everything by pecking at it.

Well, I can think of at least two eyeballs you probably just saved :/ ...Thanks drumstick diva!

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. You have received some good advice from the other BYC members. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by