chickens and snow

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Orpingtonlover, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Orpingtonlover

Orpingtonlover Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2007
    I was wondering here in Vermont its snowing and i was wondering if i should keep my chickens in there coop today any advice would be great.

2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

The only thing you can do is open the door and if they want to they'll go out...

3. Rooster01

Rooster01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Southern WV
    I'd leave the door open. They will stay inside if they want to.

4. Freebie

Freebie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    I would open the door and let them decide. Providing it is not to cold outside. Mind love to eat snow. Hotwings read somewhere, its like ice cream to them. Sometimes in the winter I put a little snow in their coop for them to snack on, and they really eat it up.

5. merryreader

merryreader Chillin' With My Peeps

After a snow storm, I shovel out a place for them at the bottom of their door,and around the edge of their coop on the sunny side, that way if it's nice and warm they get out doors. It also melts faster there. It gives them a choice to go out or stay in. Merry

6. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    My chickies a only 5.3 weeks old, and they played in the snow today! [​IMG] Most of it is melting away, and its in the mid 50s and climbing, so I opened the door, and the ones that wanted out came out, the ones that didnt, didnt. The ones that came out would run back into the coop for a quick warm up if they got too chilly. They seem to know whats comfortable for them. Trust their instincts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by