Chickens and snow

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jaj121159, Jan 1, 2011.

1. jaj121159

jaj121159 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    Northeast Nebraska
    My chickens are a bunch of wimps when it comes to snow. It doesn't matter if it is a dusting or a few inches, they will not go out into the run after a snow. I just finished shoveling out my run and they literally flocked outside. Keep in mind it is cold, but the sun is shining in a perfectly clear sky. They don't seem to mind the cold and have been outside in below zero temps as long as there is no snow on the ground.

Before I shoveled this morning I apparently had a bird fly out of the pop door land, turn around and fly back in. The marks in the snow showed wing marks but no foot tracks from the spot.

2. dmiravalle

dmiravalle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2010
    Foresthill, CA
    I find that our cochin and our LF cochin/australops love the snow. But the best ones to watch are the call ducks, they think it is an amusement park and create their own sledding paths. It is hysterical!

3. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine will get out in the snow ONLY to get food or water. Otherwise....back in the coop.
    (I don't like going out in the snow either...especially "bare-foot" !!! )

I quit skiing ...and my chickens NEVER learned how.

-Junkmanme- [​IMG]

4. Jane Jill Jack

Jane Jill Jack Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    My chickens are scared of the snow too. Won't even touch the white stuff.[​IMG] They just huddle in one small dry corner where the snow wasn't able to blow in.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  5. Barred Rocker

Barred Rocker cracked egg

Jul 15, 2009
    King and Queen Co, Va
    My Barred Rocks don't seem to mind it too much but everyone else says phooey on it, I'm staying inside.

6. DelcoChix

DelcoChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Central Ohio
    We have a couple of brave explorers who venture out into the snow in their run if I happen to have some sort of treat waiting for them....
    The funniest thing I saw was a couple of weeks ago after a 3-4" snowfall, my brave girls (FBCM pullets) slowly peeked out of the coop when I opened the door...then very slowly made their way through the fresh snow to check out the treats waiting..as the others watched from inside the coop, peeking out...then when my SLW realized what she was missing out on, she made the decision to just do it and flew about 6 feet over the snow, right to the treats. And then another girl figured out that that wasn't such a bad idea so she too flew over the snow right to the food..kind of looked like bowling for chickens as they weren't all that graceful with their landings....reminded me of downhill skiers who can ski just fine, but have trouble stopping at the bottom of the hill so they'd just plow into those who were already there (OK...I did that, but it was a long time ago and no one was hurt...badly [​IMG] . Anyways, pretty funny to see how their little birdbrains came up with a solution to their problem....

7. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

Delcochix,

Yep,my chickens have done the same. They NEVER seem to do any flying otherwise.....LAZY, I guess.

Ha-Ha !!!
    -Junkmanme- [​IMG]

8. Dark Dozens

Dark Dozens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2010
    Berkshire County, MA
    My first winter with chickens and they don't seem to mind the snow.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. dmiravalle

dmiravalle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2010
    Foresthill, CA
    That is a pretty picture!!

10. 4nematode

4nematode Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2010
    MD Eastern Shore
    I love your set up! Your girls are beautiful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by