Chickens and swimming pools?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by littledon, Feb 17, 2013.

1. littledon

littledon Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2012
    NorthEast Mississippi
    I was just thinking about putting up the pool this summer and I thought about the chickens. I didnt have chickens last year. How do the chickens act around a swimming pool?

2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    If it is above ground, there would not be the risk that they might unintentionally fall in it. My chickens seem to be intrigued by water, but I don't know that they can swim.

Chris

3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Do search for "swimming, pool,chickens", several threads come up. yes they can swim. but they are not water prof like ducks.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  4. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Overrun With Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Someone posted not too long ago that they came home to find their favorite hen had drowned in the pool. I know of one other local posting to another group that they came home to find their hen in the fountain. She was soaked through and exhausted. They got her out and dried off and warmed up and she lived but it was close.

5. silvercat76

silvercat76 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2011
    Mountaidale
    I have an in ground pool that has a fence around it and have never had a problem with my flock flying over the fence. I think it's because there's always some noise in the area.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I've lost pullets to drowning in water troughs, so it's possible. Personally, I wouldn't want to chance my birds getting close enough to poop in or around the pool, cause everyone's going to be barefoot there. Trust me, stepping in chicken poop barefoot is not something you want to do! And then having it in your pool......[​IMG] I'd just fence the pool off from where the birds can be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by