Chickens and taxes

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by furbabymum, Mar 11, 2013.

1. furbabymum

furbabymum Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2012
    Burns, Wyoming
    Do any of you claim your chickens on your taxes?? Just wondering. :) We are certainly doing it this year!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Your chickens got social security numbers? Heck of a deduction!

3. furbabymum

May 6, 2012
    Burns, Wyoming
    LOL! No they don't have SSN's. We were just doing our research and talking to our accountant about it. So long as we expect to make taxable income off of them we can claim the expense of keeping them. So last year we got our poultry and it was all expense and no income. This year hopefully we'll get income. Should be a very nice deduction for 2012's chicken acquisition though.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Let us know how it turns out!

5. lahowardjr

lahowardjr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2012
    Bache Oklahoma
    My chickens, coop and feed is tax deductible. Use a CPA. H&R Block may not agree. They seem to err on the safe side.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  6. furbabymum

May 6, 2012
    Burns, Wyoming
    Oh we for sure have a CPA! Poor guy. He gets enough random questions from us to write a book!

What we are debating on is the dog. We bought a puppy to guard the chickens. Haven't asked our tax guy yet but I'm hoping that the dog and all his expenses will be deductible as well. ;)

7. lahowardjr

lahowardjr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2012
    Bache Oklahoma
    Don't know about that one. A dog is not a "farm animal" per say. Your CPA may be scratching his head too!

8. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    Hmmm... I suppose your feed could be a deduction if you are listing egg income. For most people they give eggs to friends with the barter system and keep the government out of their business. [​IMG]

9. furbabymum

May 6, 2012
    Burns, Wyoming
    When you pay as much in taxes as we do you'll look for any deduction you can find. lol

10. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    We work as an LLC and pay business income tax on profits, but we get deductions for losses, too. The biggest thing our business status does for us is that we're exempt from Ohio sales tax on things that are directly involved in producing eggs, such as feed, equipment, materials to fix the hen house, etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by