chickens and the dog, whose treat is it?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by annaraven, Jan 22, 2011.

1. annaraven

annaraven Born this way

Apr 15, 2010
    SillyCon Valley
    So Ernest, the dog, wanted in on the game when DS was tossing bread out for the chickens. It was cute. DS would toss a piece of bread and usually a chicken would snatch it and then run away being chased by another chicken or two. Every once in a while, Ernest would get a piece.

After a while, I gave Ernest a bone - his weekly treat. And Buffy started chasing after *him*! I had to call her over with chicken scratch so she would leave him alone to enjoy his bone!

ETA:
    Buffy went after the bone again. I had to intervene! (After I took a picture of course...)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  2. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

my dog is really jealous of the chickens...he feels that if they get stuff, he should get stuff too and he wants a peice of it no matter what it is. Never saw a dog beg for broccoli stumps and beet greens before I got chickens [​IMG]

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:LOL!!!! My elderly dachshund is exactly the same! He has greatly expanded his diet since I got chickens. He will go into the run where I put the chicken treats and nose around to see what he wants. More often that not, he walks away with SOMETHING I would never have guessed he'd like. Pumpkin, yes. Broccoli stems, yes. Cauliflower bits, yes. Melon rinds, yes. He even snorfles in the feeders and will eat chicken feed on occasion!

The only thing he doesn't consider worth stealing is BOSS.

4. annaraven

annaraven Born this way

Apr 15, 2010
    SillyCon Valley
    The point isn't the dog stealing the chicken treats; I expect that. It's the chicken trying to steal the *dog's* treat that I didn't expect!

5. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    too funny. Chickens are so funny. I don't think they realize sometimes that the dog could easily take them out.

6. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:LOL!!!! My elderly dachshund is exactly the same! He has greatly expanded his diet since I got chickens. He will go into the run where I put the chicken treats and nose around to see what he wants. More often that not, he walks away with SOMETHING I would never have guessed he'd like. Pumpkin, yes. Broccoli stems, yes. Cauliflower bits, yes. Melon rinds, yes. He even snorfles in the feeders and will eat chicken feed on occasion!

The only thing he doesn't consider worth stealing is BOSS.

I like the use of the word snorfle..perfect description! Im going to add that to my vocabulary [​IMG]

7. KimberlyJ

KimberlyJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Quote:X2

8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I love it! Somebody better tell that hen she is a 'chicken'!

9. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    That's so cute! [​IMG]

When I go out with a bucket of scraps for the "Chickens" I start calling "Here, Chick, Chick, Chick, CHICK!!!!" Chickens come a runn'in for everywhere....the horses, dogs and cows come too ... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by