Chickens and the heat......

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ihvpower, Jun 20, 2010.

1. ihvpower

ihvpower Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2009
    Uxbridge MA
    Might seem like a silly question but will chickens cool off in a "kiddie" pool? I've put two new roof vents in my hen-house and there's a nice big window but it is still hot as hell in there! My older girls go outside and seem ok in the run but the younger girls seem afraid to go out with the bigger chickens. They don
    t seem to have a problem inside the hen house at all. Today, the temp must have been at 100 degrees inside. I installed a fan to help circulate air but was wondering if they would cool off in water at all? I know they love a good dust bath to cool but still.......

Any ideas?

Nancy

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    In my experience, chickens don't like going in water, not even on very hot days. Silly birds. [​IMG]

3. dichotomymom

dichotomymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Dayton Indiana
    Not that I've ever seen, although if the run gets puddles, they will wade a little for worms (as long as it doesn't get past their legs)

4. ihvpower

ihvpower Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2009
    Uxbridge MA
    Thank you..how hot so you think too hot it?? They are doing some good panting and vying for the fan!

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    At the suggestion of our experienced chicken keeping friend, we put out low plastic plant saucers filled with water. The chickens stand in them to cool off their feet. You don't want to make the water too deep, though. We also run a mister.

Boy, is it hot here in North Texas. I'm dreading the rest of this summer.

6. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    We had a chicken killed by an alligator. She would run and play in the shallow water in one of our ponds chasing minnows. It looked so cute. None of the other chickens ever got in the water. I do like the idea of little saucers of water. That might help...

7. LittleFeat

LittleFeat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    I just lost my first chicken today and the only reason I can figure is the heat. She had no other signs on her and had come out and down the ramp to the pen this morning just as usual and a couple of hours later I was playing with my dogs in the yard and glanced over and noticed her lying on her back dead. Of course it had to be my favorite girl too....my little EE Frisbee. [​IMG] Right now our temp is 97.

8. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    I have three different waterers in the coop area for my chicks...and plenty of shade that they can get to.

9. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I'd suggest shade, fans, shallow pans of water and pop bottles filled with water and frozen -- they'll huddle around them to cool off. These temps are high and then poor birds are wrapped in feather ticks.

Jenny

10. Chicken0Boy

Chicken0Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

I built my coop in the shade, and I built a real fan in! The chickens seem to lolove it in our 90-100 degree summer days. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by