Chickens and the hose?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jennyg, Feb 8, 2015.

1. jennyg

jennyg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2014
    Haleiwa, HI
    My hen follows the waterhose, today my husband strayed her with it, she stopped and enjoyed a 10 sec shower before moving on. Is that normal, can she get wet?
    It was about 75/80 degrees Fahrenheit

2. BrendaJ

BrendaJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    Oregon
    A lot of chickens like water - its ok as long as the temp outside is warm. Mine will actually get into the kiddie pool i set up for the geese on the hot summer days :)

3. collingwood

collingwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine don't enjoy it even though it's 113 fahrenheit outside! But that fine that she gets wet!

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Not a hose, but I live in the PNW and if my birds want to leave the coop, it's pretty much a given they're going to get wet. Doesn't even phase them, they're out and about all the time.

With that short a time, I'm pretty sure your hen's skin didn't actually get wet, it simply shed off her feathers. Chickens aren't waterproof like ducks, but their feathers still shed quite a bit of water. My aforementioned birds, if I go out and stick a finger down to the skin, they're usually dry even when the feathers are wet.

5. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

I often see and wonder why my birds don't always seek shelter from the rain.

It just doesn't seem to bother them as much as it does me...

6. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    Mine quite enjoyed their first rain storm this past weekend. As soon as they figured out rain = worms, they were out digging and scratching in it all day long.

7. jennyg

jennyg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2014
    Haleiwa, HI
    Thank y'all

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by