1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chickens and the rain?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by S0rcy, Apr 14, 2008.

1. S0rcy

S0rcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Do chickens like the rain? Should I keep them in when it rains or allow them freedom to their runs? It rains a very good amount of the year here. If I tried to keep them in the whole time, they may not get out for 4 months or more!

2. RoostersCrow

RoostersCrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Unless they are quite young I would let them choose. They know how to find cover when they need it.

3. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    let the hens out in the rain.they hunt an scratch for worms.an the rain wont hurt them.

4. mooman

mooman Dirty Egg Eater

Apr 9, 2008
    Marietta, SC
    What about when it's cold? I covered the "run" portion of thier tractor over the winter, but took it off for spring. Aof course the next day it rained all over them and then frosted that night. Is there a minimum night time temp that they can sleep in the rain?

ps thier roost stretche the length of the tractor (half under cover and half not) They don't seem to be smart enough to choose the side that's under cover when raining.

5. Nuggetsowner:)

Nuggetsowner:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    The chickens will seek shelter when they need it. At first I used to run our in a rainstorm to chase my chickens inside their coop. After a while I realized that they know what they do or do not need. As far as the temps go, five of my chickens sat out in the rain last Friday just havin' a grand old time and it was only about 36F. They are just fine and I am sure they will continue to be. Hope this helps!!

6. we have a large coop and i leave the door open during the day,also the nests are in the coop. Half the run is covered with one of the blue tarps from dollar general.the other half open, when it rains they have a choice of staying under the tarp, going into the coop or staying in the rain, since its about 38 outside now they are in the coop, but its their choice.[​IMG]

7. Cassandra

Cassandra Ranger Rick

Oct 27, 2007
    Southwest Mississippi
    Alright, I have to ask for clarification of this. Because, after what happened to me one time, I have serious doubts about how well my chickens will take care of themselves.

About a year ago, I had five chickens and 2 goats running around in the back yard. It had been misting rain for a little while and suddenly a black cloud rolls in and it starts hailing.

I ran inside, confident that my animals had sense enough to come in out of the rain.

It hailed persistently for fifteen minutes--pea to marble sized hail. We got a good covering of it on the ground. When it stopped, I immediately went out to check on everyone. There were several places for the animals to take shelter: a goat shed, a utility shed, a huge doghouse (big enough for the two goats to get in), a lean-to beside the house... all easily accessible to the animals from any part of the yard.

The goats had squirmed underneath the utility shed. It tooke me a while to find them. But the chickens were standing in a corner, right where I had left them. They were looking around bewildered and looking up at the sky as if to ask, "what was that?" They were two feet away from the lean to.

It was funny, but they were fine!! (I guess they didn't need shelter after all)

I can't believe they survived. [​IMG]

Cassandra

8. chcknrs

chcknrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Kelso, WA
    Well, I guess that explains the story of Chicken Little![​IMG]

9. S0rcy

S0rcy Chillin' With My Peeps

LOL Chicnrs! Thanks all! I won't worry so much about it [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  10. chcknrs

chcknrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Kelso, WA
    Sorcy, I am in Kelso, WA at about 2500 feet and I let my 5 and 6 week olds free range all day, but leave the coop open with the light on. They go in and warm up, take naps, and then go right out again. They were out in the rain today! And loved it. I think they were locally hatched from local raised chickens, so they should be acclimatized.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by