Chickens and Ticks

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by indego_88, Jan 6, 2009.

1. indego_88

indego_88 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2008
    Australia
    How do you stop chickens getting ticks on them...?

Sadly last night my chicken wasnt looking too good, we had a look at her and found a paralysis tick on her, poor thing died that night [​IMG]

I live in quite a bushy area in Australia where ticks are quite common. Is there any way i can prevent my other chickens getting ticks?

2. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Oh my gosh that is so sad. I am so sorry to hear that. We are infested here with Ticks in the Northeast but I have never heard of a paralysis tick. What is that?

My husband and I both had Lyme's disease at the same time but I have never seen a tick on my chickens. I guess it is just hard to see under all those feathers.

I am not sure what to suggest about your problem....maybe dusting with food grade DE.

Since I got chickens I haven't seen any ticks and wondering if it is because they are eating them all.

3. indego_88

Dec 29, 2008
    Australia
    a paralysis tick is a deadly australian tick... they are horrible
    mine had one on her head so that couldn't have been good at all.
    yer i think il try dusting them or their food with something.

4. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
  5. Rainman

Rainman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2008
    Woodinville WA.
    Quote:I'd like to go to Australia but there are too many critters that can kill you just by looking at you.

6. indego_88

Dec 29, 2008
    Australia
    haha i havent come across anything like that before! but yess there are a lot of deadly things. Nothing to be afraid of though, most people wont even come across them. More likely they are more scared of you. I have lived near the bush all my life and nothing has ever happened to me. BUt i guess if your not used to it, its fair enough your wary!

7. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote:It wont help to put it on their food. Put it in a container so they can take "dust baths" in it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by