Chickens and Turkey Tail Behavior

PureBigBird

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 28, 2014
See many posts about hold the tail downward, but WHY DO turkeys hold their tails upward or why do they fan them outward? What is is tail bobbing?

It's a display to show both hens and other toms their beautiful feathers,,and that they are healthy. It's used to attract females and intimidate males because they look bigger when displaying.

I don't know know what tail bobbing is. Which species are you referring to about it?

It's a display to show both hens and other toms their beautiful feathers,,and that they are healthy. It's used to attract females and intimidate males because they look bigger when displaying.

I don't know know what tail bobbing is. Which species are you referring to about it?
Turkey hens.

I haven't seen my hens Bob their tails, perhaps before mating but I can't answer that part.

See many posts about hold the tail downward, but WHY DO turkeys hold their tails upward or why do they fan them outward? What is is tail bobbing?
As a long time turkey owner, I have never heard the term tail bobbing in relation to turkeys. The vertical tail fan along with the wings held down to the ground is referred to as displaying or strutting and is part of the mating ritual and as an attraction mechanism and competition among the toms. Displaying can also be done by hens and normally occurs during breeding season.

The horizontal tail fan is an instinctive behavior by hens. It provides cover for the poults to protect them from prying eyes of predators especially when those eyes are from above.

As a long time turkey owner, I have never heard the term tail bobbing in relation to turkeys. The vertical tail fan along with the wings held down to the ground is referred to as displaying or strutting and is part of the mating ritual and as an attraction mechanism and competition among the toms. Displaying can also be done by hens and normally occurs during breeding season.

The horizontal tail fan is an instinctive behavior by hens. It provides cover for the poults to protect them from prying eyes of predators especially when those eyes are from above.
Thank you. Have a hen that when she sits right now, she fans her tail upright rather than down. Also, when she stands, she fans her tail upward as if it is used for Balance-legs wobbly. Uncertain why-read somewhere that birds with ear infections or issues will have balance problems and use the tail upward or birds that have had a stroke that caused a balance issue will bring tail upward. She used to let the beautiful fan out and downward when she was grazing or when a male was in the flock.

Thank you. Have a hen that when she sits right now, she fans her tail upright rather than down. Also, when she stands, she fans her tail upward as if it is used for Balance-legs wobbly. Uncertain why-read somewhere that birds with ear infections or issues will have balance problems and use the tail upward or birds that have had a stroke that caused a balance issue will bring tail upward. She used to let the beautiful fan out and downward when she was grazing or when a male was in the flock.
There may or may not be some truth to that. Not having had any sick turkeys, I can neither confirm or deny. Any bird with balance problems whether they be from an injured leg or otherwise will use its wings to help steady itself.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom